What Consumes Fewer PC Resources: 1 Window with 250 Tabs or 5 and 50

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to reduce resource usage while browsing on a Windows 10 PC. The question is whether it is better to have one window open with 250 tabs or five windows with 50 tabs each. The answer is that there is no hard and fast rule, but as a general rule of thumb, having one window with 250 tabs may consume fewer resources. The suggestion is to group tabs and clear browser cache to minimize resource usage. It is also mentioned that multiple tabs will only reload when selected after closing and restarting the browser.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Hi, just want to cut down on resource use in my Win 10 PC browsing.
Is having one window open with , say, 250 tabs open [preferable to 5 open Windows with 50 tabs each?
Hi, just want to cut down on resource use in my Win 10 PC browsing.
As a rule of thumb, Is having one window open with , say, 250 tabs open preferable to 5 open Windows10 Windows with 50 tabs each?
What setup would consume more resources? I understand there's o hard and fast rule, but any rule of thumb?
TIA.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Doesn't directly answer the question, but are you using all those 250 tabs at once? If not, it might help to group them (both in Chrome and Firefox), and then clearing all browser cache and restarting the browser. Then just click on the tab groups you need. Other groups won't be loaded unless you visit them again.

I have 256 tabs open, and have grouped them separately. I open each group in a separate window when necessary.

Likes WWGD
Isn't it as simple as comparing 250 tabs + 1 window vs 250 tabs + 5 windows? 4 windows more to manage in the latter case?

Wrichik Basu said:
Other groups won't be loaded unless you visit them again.
If you have multiple tabs open, close and restart the browser, each tab will reload only when you select them as well.

Likes WWGD and Wrichik Basu

1. What does it mean to consume fewer PC resources?

Consuming fewer PC resources refers to the amount of processing power, memory, and storage space that a computer program or application requires to run efficiently. The fewer resources a program uses, the less strain it puts on the computer's hardware and the faster it can operate.

2. Will having more tabs open in one window consume more PC resources?

Yes, having more tabs open in one window will consume more PC resources. Each open tab requires its own set of resources to run, including memory and processing power. The more tabs that are open, the more resources are being used, which can slow down the computer's performance.

3. Is it better to have one window with many tabs or multiple windows with fewer tabs each?

It is generally better to have multiple windows with fewer tabs each. This is because each window can be treated as a separate process, allowing the computer to distribute the workload more evenly. Having too many tabs open in one window can overload the system and lead to slower performance.

4. How many tabs can a computer handle before it starts to consume excessive resources?

This depends on the computer's hardware and specifications, as well as the types of tabs being opened. On average, a computer can handle around 10-20 tabs before it starts to consume excessive resources. However, this can vary greatly and it is important to monitor the computer's performance to ensure it is not being overloaded.

5. What can I do to minimize PC resource consumption when using multiple tabs?

To minimize PC resource consumption when using multiple tabs, you can try closing tabs that are not in use, using an ad blocker to reduce the number of ads running in the background, and avoiding heavy multimedia content such as videos or animations. You can also try using a browser extension or software that can manage and optimize your tabs to reduce resource usage.