How to create Windows 7 recovery discs?

In summary, creating a recovery disc for Windows 7 requires 4-5 DVDs, while a system repair disk only needs one DVD. The backup option in Windows can compress data to fit on 3 DVDs, but it is recommended to use an external hard drive for complete backups. Creating a system image is like taking a snapshot of your computer's settings, which can be useful in case of system errors or updates that break the computer.
pro_learner
I have Windows 7 OS in my HP laptop.I bought it before about 1 year.I still didn't created the recovery discs.Actually i tried to do it.One of my friend who has done it(but in Windows Vista,not in 7),told me that i just need 4-5 DVDs to do that.But when i was checked my recovery partition there is about 103GB filled.So i need about 25-30 DVDs! Am i correct? or is it a backup?Not recovery?Is there any other way to do recovery??Please help me IT experts?

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you do a full recovery, then yes you will need that many discs.

I'm surprised your laptop didn't come with a Windows disc of some form.

A recovery disc for just Windows 7 is only 1 DVD.

A recovery disk for the OS is usually a single DVD. A back-up of all the data on the computer would take many, many dvd's. If you want to back-up all your data, you will want to buy an external hard disk. If you want to just create a back-up of the operating system, you can create a disk in windows "System Restore".

Type "Backup and Restore" into the start menu search bar at the bottom of the pop-up start menu.

The first option should say "Backup and Restore", select this option.

In the window the comes up, on the left side it should say "Create a system repair disk".

This will walk you through creating a system repair disk should something befall the OS.

This disk will help you recover from a fatal error of sorts such as a potent virus or a serious register or driver error. It will not be able to create a fresh install on a new machine.

After the repair disk, I selected the backup option, and it took (3) 4.7 gig DVD's to backup 30+gigs. As such, I assume some sort of compression is in play.

pallidin said:
After the repair disk, I selected the backup option, and it took (3) 4.7 gig DVD's to backup 30+gigs. As such, I assume some sort of compression is in play.

The compression used by Windows isn't capable of that sort of compression ratio. At least not as far as I'm aware.

I wouldn't think it's backing up all of your stuff with only three discs.

More likely than not, you are backing up selected file and folders. I would really suggest using an external drive to make a complete back-up. As frequently as you would need to make complete back-ups of your data it really doesn't make sense to use all those DVD's that will be pretty much useless after the next back-up. The system recovery disk will help you out if you ever need to fix your pc is something should keep it from starting up. The disk is also what you'll use to restore the data you backed up on an external drive.

If you decide that you would prefer to burn disks you'll just have to accept that you will have to use a whole lot of dvd's.

ok...thnx for your help.I got the idea.But the thing is i want to know that how can i create a system image??Because there is an option calls Create a System Image?Is that difference from creating a backup??Plz tell me...

A system image is like taking a snap-shot of your computers settings. This will allow you to recover the computer if you change something as administrator that breaks your computer.

For example:
I use system image before I update my Nvidia video card. In my experience the first release of a Nvidia driver will almost always break my system either resulting in me being unable to log in or not being able to see anything on the screen. I'll use the system image to recover my previous settings when I can't roll the driver back manually.

ok...i got it...Thnx...:):)

1. What is the purpose of creating Windows 7 recovery discs?

The purpose of creating Windows 7 recovery discs is to have a backup in case your operating system becomes corrupt or damaged. This allows you to restore your system to its original state without losing any important data or files.

2. What do I need to create Windows 7 recovery discs?

To create Windows 7 recovery discs, you will need a blank DVD or USB drive with enough storage space, a computer with a DVD burner or USB port, and a Windows 7 installation disc or a system repair disc.

3. Can I create Windows 7 recovery discs if I don't have an installation disc?

Yes, you can create Windows 7 recovery discs even if you don't have an installation disc. You can use a system repair disc instead, which can be created from a working Windows 7 computer.

4. How many recovery discs do I need to create?

The number of recovery discs you need to create depends on the size of your operating system and the amount of data you have on your computer. Typically, you will need at least one disc, but it is recommended to create a set of recovery discs in case one gets damaged.

5. How do I use the created Windows 7 recovery discs?

To use the created Windows 7 recovery discs, you will need to insert the disc or USB drive into your computer and restart it. Your computer should then boot from the recovery disc and guide you through the recovery process. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully to avoid any data loss.