How to derive tan(2x) using the definition of the derivative ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 6K views
faisal-tesla
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Can someone please derive tan(2x) using the definition of the derivative?


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried to expand it but I couldn't get anywhere with it

thank you,
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Show us your first steps. Did you use the formula

[tex]\tan(a+b) = \frac{\tan a + \tan b}{1 - \tan a\tan b}[/tex]
 
yes i did, but i used the identity tan 2x = 2tanx/ (1-tan^2(x) )

after that, it got messy when i plugged in (x+h)
 
faisal-tesla said:
yes i did, but i used the identity tan 2x = 2tanx/ (1-tan^2(x) )

after that, it got messy when i plugged in (x+h)

Start with

[tex]\frac {\tan(2x + 2h)-\tan(2x)}{h}[/tex]

and use the formula on the first term in the numerator.
 
I used both identities; it worked finally

thank you for your help . appreciated it.