How to Derive the Acceleration of Mass A in a Double Atwood Machine?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 8K views
JoeBargo
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I've tried and tried and can't solve this to look like this equation. Please Help!

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee237/biggyjoe210/IMAG0175.jpg

1. Show that the Acceleration of Mass A is given by : (look at picture)

IMAG0175.jpg


Homework Equations



F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution



So far all I have is a = g(mA-mB)/(mA+mB)

Im lost
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw any free-body diagrams?
 
Yeah all have tension going up and mg going down except the pulley which has tension up and tension down as well *** mg. The tension of string attaching a and b are the same and c and d are the same.
 
Does the following look like I'm on the right track? Six equations in six unknowns.
 
Attachments
  • atwood057.jpg
    atwood057.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 4,365
Yeah, I have that down. I solved for the smaller system(mA, mB, mD) for acceleration and tension. I'm guessing x is acceleration. If so that's exactly what I have. I can't get the algebra right or something when I solve for a1 and a2(the two separate accelerations of the strings). I keep getting close to the given formula but I'm messing up somewhere.
 
hey do you go to tech??
m having problem with the same question...did you solved it??
 
the trick is displace one body and see the motion of other bodies eg.if u displace the "Mc" body then the other two bodies(Ma and Mb) will as a whole go down but one of them will go up and other down relative to each other.then draw the free body diagram on each.NOTE: tension in the Mc body will be 2times that of ropes of other two.then write the equations involving T and g.gud luck
 
I'm also at Tech. I get some of it, but there are like 3 parts to the final equation that I'm missing. I'm still not exactly sure on how to do this.