How to derive the tension equation for a suspended rod

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
fldk31
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, I came across this question and I was wondering if someone could explain how we get:
TLsinO - mg(1/2LcosO) = 0
Your help would be much appreciated.

MFoA4hb.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Not just any distance. It's specifixally the perpendicular distance from the wall. Since the beam is at an angle, you need the trig equations to find the perpendicular distance.
 
If you understand this, what's the problem to explain it in a couple sentences instead of playing games? If you don't want to explain, it's totally fine.
I am so confused what these two parts mean:
1) TLsinO
2) mg(1/2LcosO)
 
fldk31 said:
If you understand this, what's the problem to explain it in a couple sentences instead of playing games? If you don't want to explain, it's totally fine.
I am so confused what these two parts mean:
1) TLsinO
2) mg(1/2LcosO)
If you are familiar with torque then you should know this: if a force F acts through a point P, the torque the force has about a point Q is F x distance PQ x sin(angle between PQ and the direction of the force).
Can you relate that to the diagram and see how the expressions you quote correspond to the torque exerted by T about the hinge, and the torque the weight of the arm exerts about the hinge?