How to design a slide switch mechanism to be waterproof -- ideas?

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a waterproof slide switch to protect electronic parts from water. One suggestion is to use a reed switch with a sliding magnet to create a barrier between the electronics and the water. Another idea is to use optical sensors. More information is needed about the size, throw, environment, illumination, and orientation of the switch before a design can be determined.
Aurimas
I need to protect electronic parts in case from water. The thing is, I need to design slide switch on the cap of the housing. Maybe any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
These folks enclose the slide handle in a polymer boot.
https://www.e-switch.com/product-catalog/sealed/product-lines/500r-series-slide-switch-sealed-to-ip67

above found with:
https://www.google.com/search?&q=+waterproof++slide++switch
(that's putting {+waterproof +slide +switch} in the Google search field. Without the {})

Likes Asymptotic and Aurimas
Welcome to pF.

Maybe you could use a reed switch with a sliding magnet.
The magnetic field will separate the protected electronics from the external water environment.

• Informative
Likes Asymptotic, hutchphd, berkeman and 1 other person
Baluncore said:
Maybe you could use a reed switch with a sliding magnet.
I had a similar idea, but using optical sensors...
Aurimas said:
I need to protect electronic parts in case from water. The thing is, I need to design slide switch on the cap of the housing.
Welcome to the PF. :smile: Can you say more about what you are trying to do? How big of a slide switch, with how long of a throw? What is the environment (other than wet)? What is the illumination like, and what else is nearby the switch? What is the orientation of the switch (horizontal throw, vertical throw, etc.)?

Likes Asymptotic

1. How can I ensure that my slide switch mechanism is waterproof?

To design a waterproof slide switch mechanism, you will need to use materials that are resistant to water and moisture. This can include using waterproof seals, gaskets, and coatings on the switch components. Additionally, the design should be such that there are no gaps or openings where water can enter.

2. What type of materials should I use for a waterproof slide switch mechanism?

The most commonly used materials for waterproof slide switch mechanisms are stainless steel, plastic, and silicone. These materials are known for their resistance to water and moisture, making them ideal for this purpose.

3. Can I use a regular slide switch and make it waterproof?

It is possible to make a regular slide switch waterproof by adding waterproof coatings and seals. However, it is recommended to use a switch that is specifically designed for waterproofing to ensure better reliability and longevity.

4. How can I make my slide switch mechanism waterproof without compromising its functionality?

To maintain the functionality of the slide switch mechanism, you can use a waterproof coating or sealant that is transparent and does not interfere with the movement of the switch. Additionally, you can also use materials that are lightweight and do not add extra weight or resistance to the switch.

5. Are there any specific design considerations for a waterproof slide switch mechanism?

Yes, there are a few design considerations to keep in mind when designing a waterproof slide switch mechanism. These include selecting materials that are durable and resistant to corrosion, ensuring a tight and secure fit for all components, and incorporating drainage holes to prevent water from accumulating inside the switch.