How to determine correct Lagrangian?

In summary, the Lagrangian is defined as the quantity that, when put into the Euler-Lagrange equations, gives the correct equations of motion. It is equivalent to writing down the inertia and force relations in Newtonian mechanics and can be used to create and test models for systems. The choice between Lagrange, Newton, or Hamilton approaches depends on the specific needs of the situation.
better361
First, let me take as the definition of a Lagrangian the quantity that when put into the Euler Lagrange equations, it gives the correct equation of motion.

It sounds like we need to know the equations of motion first. For example. the Lagrangian for a particle subject to a constant magnetic field. It is not your standard L=T-U.

1. With this in mind, when I write down T-U for a system, how do I know if it is also the Lagrangian of a system?
2. Also, this seems somewhat circular as to get the equations of motion we use the Lagrangian, but the Lagrangian is defined by the correct equations of motion. Can someone clarify this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
better361 said:
1. With this in mind, when I write down T-U for a system, how do I know if it is also the Lagrangian of a system?

This is a matter of how you write down models. Writing down a Lagrangian is the Lagrange mechanics equivalent of writing down the inertia and force relations in Newtonian mechanics. You can do this however you like (you could introduce a gravitational force proportional to the distance instead of the inverse square law), but ultimately you must test the model against experiments.

better361 said:
2. Also, this seems somewhat circular as to get the equations of motion we use the Lagrangian, but the Lagrangian is defined by the correct equations of motion. Can someone clarify this for me?
What you are talking about here is just the proof of equivalence between Newtonian and Lagrange mechanics. You are showing that you can get the equations of motion from the variation of the action and that you can get the Lagrangian from the equations of motion. In itself, Lagrange mechanics does not require your Lagrangian to be of a particular form. The Lagrangian defines your model.

So what the Lagrangian does is that it gives us an ability to create and test models for systems in a way that is easier than using Newton's law?

If you are using Newton's law you need to model the forces. The Lagrangian approach has some advantages and the Newtonian (and also the Hamiltonian approach) has some. What is better suited really depends on what you want to do. Things such as symmetries and constants of motion are more apparent in the Lagrangian approach.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a Lagrangian in physics?

A Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system. It is commonly used in classical mechanics to calculate the motion of particles and systems, and in quantum mechanics to describe the evolution of quantum states.

2. How do I determine the correct Lagrangian for a specific system?

To determine the correct Lagrangian for a system, you need to follow a systematic approach. Start by identifying all the relevant variables and their relationships, then use the principles of conservation of energy and momentum to construct the Lagrangian. This process may involve some trial and error, and may require knowledge of the specific system and its dynamics.

3. Can the Lagrangian be derived from the equations of motion?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be derived from the equations of motion using the Euler-Lagrange equations. These equations relate the Lagrangian to the dynamics of the system and can be used to find the Lagrangian given the equations of motion.

4. Is there a standard method for determining the Lagrangian?

There is no one standard method for determining the Lagrangian, as it depends on the specific system and its dynamics. However, there are general principles and techniques, such as the ones mentioned above, that can be used to determine the Lagrangian.

5. How important is the choice of Lagrangian in predicting the behavior of a system?

The choice of Lagrangian is crucial in predicting the behavior of a system. It is the foundation of the Lagrangian formalism, which is a powerful tool used in various areas of physics. A incorrect Lagrangian can lead to incorrect predictions and understanding of the system's dynamics.