How to determine energy savings from weather and usage data

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of estimating the energy savings of a Nest thermostat over a period of four years. The speaker also raises the issue of increased electricity consumption due to a new roommate who is a gamer. They suggest estimating the excess power usage by doubling the wattage of the gaming computer and taking into account the season and whether the AC or heater would also be running.
Raddy13
I bought a Nest thermostat a few months ago and I wanted to figure out how much energy it has statistically saved me. I have my usage data going back four years (I track the utilities to split with roommates) and I can find the historical weather data for my area for each day of the month. One of the complicating factors is that I've had two roommates, and my most recent one is a big gamer so electricity consumption has gone up since he moved in.

So the two parts are: How do I estimate how much excess power usage is from the new roommate and then, comparing the historical weather data, how do I estimate how much energy (if any) the thermostat has saved me?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just an idea. Do you know how many watts his gaming computer uses? If it is in a season which you would be running the AC, I guess you could approximately double that, as a computer is basically a heat generator (there is no physical work performed, just exhausting hot air). So for example if the computer used 300 W and you are in the summer, the AC has to do (roughly) 300 W worth of cooling just to cancel out the computer running, so roughly 600 watts are being used. If you are in the winter, and would be running the heater, then your computer is helping to heat the room. I hope that made sense. You won't be able to just look at the label on the back of the computer and say "it uses X watts" Computer processors have more than one mode of operation, so sometimes it will be using more than other times.

1. How do you collect weather and usage data for determining energy savings?

Weather and usage data can be collected through various methods such as smart meters, energy monitoring systems, and weather stations. These devices track and record energy usage and weather data such as temperature, humidity, and wind speed.

2. What is the process for analyzing weather and usage data to determine energy savings?

The first step is to collect and organize the data. Then, statistical methods can be used to identify patterns and trends in energy usage and weather conditions. This data can then be compared to previous periods to determine the amount of energy saved.

3. How can I accurately determine the impact of weather on energy usage?

To accurately determine the impact of weather on energy usage, it is important to use statistical tools such as regression analysis. This helps to isolate the effect of weather from other factors that may influence energy consumption, such as changes in occupancy or equipment usage.

4. How do I account for changes in energy usage patterns when calculating energy savings?

When calculating energy savings, it is important to account for any changes in energy usage patterns, such as changes in occupancy or equipment upgrades. This can be done by using a baseline period for comparison and adjusting for any changes in usage during the analysis period.

5. Are there any limitations to using weather and usage data to determine energy savings?

While weather and usage data can provide valuable insights into energy savings, there are a few limitations to keep in mind. These include the accuracy and reliability of the data, as well as other factors that may affect energy usage, such as changes in human behavior or equipment malfunctions.