How to determine if all C atoms are coplanar

• Thread starter Janiceleong26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of coplanarity in molecules, specifically in regards to carbon atoms. The participants debate whether or not all carbon atoms in a molecule can lie in the same plane, referencing examples of benzene and cyclohexane. They also discuss the arrangement of carbon atoms in methylpropane and the possibility of building models to better understand the concept. In conclusion, it is determined that in some cases, such as in methylpropane, it is impossible for all carbon atoms to be coplanar due to the arrangement of bonds.
Janiceleong26
1. Homework Statement
image.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see that in B, not all C atoms are coplanar , but for C, D and E I can't see how the carbon atoms are coplanar .. I thought they are tetrahedral?

Physics news on Phys.org
In E carbon atoms are not coplanar (that is, one of them can "freely" move, so there will be moments when it will be complanar with others).

How many carbon atoms in D? Can you think of such an arrangement of these atoms that they would not lie on a one surface?

When it comes to C it would be best to see a model. Yes, all these carbons are sp3 hybridized, but it doesn't stop them from lying on one surface. Is the central COCO ring flat?

Borek said:
In E carbon atoms are not coplanar (that is, one of them can "freely" move, so there will be moments when it will be complanar with others).
Is it the carbon atom in CH3 that is free to move? What about the carbon atom bonded to No2?
Like in their examples, all carbon atoms in benzene lie in a plane because they all use sp2 orbitals and every bond angle is 120°, right? But in the case of cyclohexane, all carbon atoms are sp3 hybridised and they each have a tetrahedral shape, so why can't they all lie in the same plane? How do you know if all carbon atoms can lie in a plane?

Borek said:
How many carbon atoms in D? Can you think of such an arrangement of these atoms that they would not lie on a one surface?
3 carbons. Erm, is it like the arrangement of methylpropane ? Again, I am still confused, why the carbon atoms in methylpropane are not coplanar...

Borek said:
When it comes to C it would be best to see a model. Yes, all these carbons are sp3 hybridized, but it doesn't stop them from lying on one surface. Is the central COCO ring flat?
I'm not sure.. Yes?

Janiceleong26 said:
Is it the carbon atom in CH3 that is free to move?

Yes.

What about the carbon atom bonded to No2?

Atoms in the ring are sp2, that means all atoms bonded to the ring lie in the ring plane.

Janiceleong26 said:
3 carbons. Erm, is it like the arrangement of methylpropane ? Again, I am still confused, why the carbon atoms in methylpropane are not coplanar...

But they are - any three points always lie on a surface (technically that hold even when they colinear, even if there are infinitely many such surfaces then).

Janiceleong26 said:
I'm not sure.. Yes?

Yes, the central COCO ring is rigid. That means all carbons sticking out of the C atoms must lie in a plane.

I am afraid if you don't see it it won't be easy to show without a model. All carbons lie on a plane, and O atoms stick up and down, this is a rigid arrangement.

Perhaps try to think about it this way - this molecules consist of two halves, each one containing three carbon atoms and connected by the oxygen bridges. Both halves contain three carbons, so these three carbons have to be coplanar (remember? each connected three carbons lie on a plane). Now, the way these halves are bonded through the oxygen bridges puts these carbon planes in the same place - so there is in fact one plane only.

Ahh I see.. That was clear, thanks so much !
But why is it impossible for the carbon atoms in methylpropane to be coplanar?

Janiceleong26 said:
Then, why is it impossible for the carbon atoms in methylpropane to be coplanar?

There are four carbons - any three will be coplanar, but the fourth must stick out.

As I said earlier, try to build models - even from putty, or plasticine, and matches/toothpicks.

Likes Janiceleong26
Borek said:
There are four carbons - any three will be coplanar, but the fourth must stick out.

As I said earlier, try to build models - even from putty, or plasticine, and matches/toothpicks.
Ok, thank you !

1. How can I determine if all carbon atoms are coplanar in a molecule?

The coplanarity of carbon atoms in a molecule can be determined by analyzing the molecular structure and bond angles using techniques such as X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy, or molecular modeling.

2. What is the significance of determining coplanarity of carbon atoms?

The coplanarity of carbon atoms can provide important information about the molecular geometry and stability of a molecule, as well as its reactivity and potential for intermolecular interactions.

3. Are there any experimental methods for determining coplanarity of carbon atoms?

Yes, there are several experimental methods such as X-ray crystallography and NMR spectroscopy that can be used to determine the coplanarity of carbon atoms in a molecule.

4. Can molecular modeling be used to determine coplanarity of carbon atoms?

Yes, molecular modeling techniques such as computational chemistry and molecular dynamics simulations can also be used to determine the coplanarity of carbon atoms in a molecule.

5. Are there any specific criteria for determining coplanarity of carbon atoms?

Coplanarity of carbon atoms is typically determined by analyzing the bond angles between the carbon atoms in a molecule. Generally, if the bond angles are close to 180 degrees, the carbon atoms can be considered coplanar.