How to determine the charged particles between a distance?

In summary: If you have, then you can determine the negative charged level on the left-hand side of the particle. If you haven't learned about electric potential, then you will need to find a different method to determine the negative charged level on the left-hand side of the particle.
oem7110
I would like to determine the negative charged level on q2 particle, referring to following image, q1 is charged particle with x unit of positive charge, which q1 diameter is 80 cm, on the other hands, q2 is a neural particle, which q2 diameter is 30 cm. Both charged particles are separated in d distance.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine the negative charged level on left-hand side of q2 based on the distance and positive charged level of q1? Is there any formula to determine this value?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
2Particles.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Are they conductors?

Is d the center to center distance?

SammyS said:
Are they conductors?

They must be conductors ... or else, there will be no induced charges.

To cupid: q1 would not need to be a conductor. If it were not a conductor, I think the problem is more difficult to solve.

To oem7110: If the spheres are conductors, then what do you know about the surface of each sphere?

To SammyS:
Let assume, both particles are conductors, so positive and negative charges are free to move on its surface area, and d is the center to center distance.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

The surface of each conductor will be an equi-potential surface.

Have you been introduced to "image" charges at all?

SammyS said:

What is "image" charges?

In q2 particle, which is neutral originally, because q1 with positive charged particle is getting closer to q2, so the negative charged level on left-hand side and the positive charged level on right-hand side for q2 particle, but I don't know what happen at the top and bottom, will it be neutral?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to determine the negative charged level on left-hand side of q2 based on the distance and positive charged level of q1? Is there any formula to determine this value?

2Particles.jpg

SammyS said:

Could you please give me any suggestions on what Image charges are about?

Do you find any lecture under MIT talking about this issue? so I can learn what "image" is about if it related to my issue.

I look forward to your reply
Thank everyone very much for any suggestions

Lec 23 | MIT 8.02 Electricity and Magnetism, Spring 2002
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSN2hSULTi4&feature=related

Sorry, I've been traveling. If you haven't been introduced to image charges, then you likely are expected to do this problem by some other method.

What level is this course? At what place are you in your course?

I assume you've had Coulomb's Law. Have you learned about electric potential?

1. How do you calculate the electric force between two charged particles?

The electric force between two charged particles can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you determine the net charge of a system of multiple charged particles?

To determine the net charge of a system of multiple charged particles, you can add all the individual charges together, taking into account their signs. If the sum is positive, the system has a net positive charge, and if the sum is negative, the system has a net negative charge.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative charged particles?

Positive charged particles, or protons, have a positive electric charge and are attracted to negative charges. Negative charged particles, or electrons, have a negative electric charge and are attracted to positive charges. These charges are equal in magnitude but opposite in sign.

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect their electric force?

The force between charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases. This relationship is known as the inverse-square law.

5. How can you determine the charge of a particle using an electric field?

The charge of a particle can be determined by measuring the force it experiences in an electric field. Using Coulomb's Law, the electric field strength can be calculated, and the charge of the particle can be found by rearranging the equation.