How to do Mesh Analysis with current controlled voltage source

VIn summary, the conversation is discussing mesh equations and nodal analysis for solving a circuit problem involving a voltage source and inductors. There is a discrepancy in the results obtained using the two methods, with the mesh equation solution resulting in a higher voltage for the inductor. The possible cause for this difference is identified as a missing term in the first mesh equation.
eehelp150

Homework Statement

Vs = 100cos(2000t)
upload_2016-11-7_21-11-57.png

Homework Equations

KVL, KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

My mesh equations are:
-Vs + I1(30-12.5j)-I2(120j)=0
4Ix+I2(120j+20)-I1(120j)=0
Ix = (I1-I2)

Are these correct? When I solve I get a different result than when I do nodal analysis.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first mesh equation is missing a term for the potential drop over the inductor due to mesh current ##I1##.

gneill said:
Your first mesh equation is missing a term for the potential drop over the inductor due to mesh current ##I1##.
-Vs + I1(30-12.5j+120j)-I2(120j)=0

i1 = (1.93736+0.385512i)
i2 = (1.83193+0.694348i)

ix = (1.93736+0.385512i)-(1.83193+0.694348i)
V(120j) = ix*120j = 37.06+j12.65 V
The solution (using nodal analysis) says V(120j) = 2.95+j1.126

1. How do I determine the direction of current in a mesh analysis with a current controlled voltage source?

The direction of current is determined by the voltage source that is controlling it. If the voltage source is in series with the current, the current will flow in the same direction as the voltage. If the voltage source is in parallel with the current, the current will flow in the opposite direction of the voltage.

2. How do I handle dependent current sources in a mesh analysis?

Dependent current sources can be handled by using the controlling variable (e.g. voltage or current) in the mesh equations. The controlling variable should be expressed in terms of the unknown mesh currents and substituted into the equations.

3. What is the difference between a voltage controlled voltage source and a current controlled voltage source in mesh analysis?

A voltage controlled voltage source is controlled by a voltage in the circuit, while a current controlled voltage source is controlled by a current in the circuit. In mesh analysis, voltage controlled voltage sources are treated as independent voltage sources, while current controlled voltage sources are treated as dependent current sources.

4. Can I use mesh analysis with non-linear circuits?

Yes, mesh analysis can be used with non-linear circuits. However, the equations will be more complex and may require iteration to find a solution.

5. When should I use mesh analysis over other circuit analysis methods?

Mesh analysis is best suited for circuits with multiple current sources and voltage sources, as it allows for solving multiple equations simultaneously. It may also be a better choice for circuits with complex or non-linear elements, as it can provide more accurate results compared to other methods.