How to encode direction information?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of expressing a geometric quantity with only magnitude and direction, and the possibility of using tensors to achieve this. The idea of using a line passing through the origin instead of a vector's direction is mentioned, but it is noted that this system of objects would have certain limitations and may not be very useful. The conversation then shifts to the potential application of these quantities in physics, and the mention of constructing entities with ellipsoids instead of vectors. The conversation ends with a request for any helpful resources on this topic.
mnb96
Hello,
I was wondering how I could express a geometric quantity which has only magnitude and direction but no orientation (sense)? and perform ordinary operation on that.

For example:
it is clear that a vector is not appropriate because vectors with same magnitude-direction but opposite orientation will cancel out: instead I want that two entities with same magnitude and direction will result in another entity with the same direction and double magnitude.

Is this possible to do?
I've heard somewhere that this is probably done using tensors, but I have no idea how. Maybe I misunderstood.
Any idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can replace the idea of a vector's direction with a line passing through the origin. This eliminates the distinction between positive and negative lengths, since, unlike a vector, a line isn't "pointing" either direction. On top of that, you would simply need to pair it with a non-negative scalar to achieve what you seem to be looking for.

However, note the properties you must conclude such a system of objects has. Since magnitudes can only be positive, adding two of these objects will always produce a third with equal or greater magnitude. There are no additive inverses. There is no scalar multiplication by negative reals. These things don't have natural definitions.

Essentially, such a definition is what you get by removing all vectors in half of the plane (in R^2). I don't think such a system of objects would be terribly useful. What applications do you have in mind?

Perhaps I formulate my question ina misleading way. I think the quantities I am looking for, are extremely useful and are apparently very used in physics.
I finally found something related:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~burkhard/PhD/img13.html
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~gk/papers/tvcg00/img144.png

Maybe that gives a better idea of what I am after.
As you can notice, it is possible to construct such entities that resembles vector fields but instead of vectors they have ellipsoids (not straight lines),

Any hint about this topic or useful link is always appreciated! As I don't understand what could be a good starting point for learing how to manipulate these things.

1. What is direction information encoding?

Direction information encoding is the process of representing directional data, such as north, south, east, west, or any other direction, in a standardized format that can be easily processed and understood by computers.

2. Why is direction information encoding important?

Direction information encoding is important because it allows computers to accurately interpret and analyze directional data, which is essential in many applications such as navigation, mapping, and robotics.

3. What are the commonly used methods for direction information encoding?

The most commonly used methods for direction information encoding are using angles, such as degrees or radians, and using cardinal directions, such as N, S, E, W. Other methods include using directional vectors and using compass headings.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing a direction information encoding method?

When choosing a direction information encoding method, factors such as the type of data being encoded, the precision required, and the compatibility with other systems should be considered. Additionally, the chosen method should be easy to understand and implement.

5. Can direction information be encoded in multiple formats?

Yes, direction information can be encoded in multiple formats depending on the needs of the application. For example, a navigation system may use cardinal directions for general guidance, but also use degrees for more precise instructions. It is important to ensure consistency and proper conversion between different encoding formats.