1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to estimate tangential force through curve?

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A capsule suspended on flat rails enters a curve in a pipeline. It has guide wheels on vertical axles to keep the main wheels on-track. As it enters the bend the front guide wheel impacts the side of a rail to steer the bogie. What is the force of this impact? Essentially, what force is required to change the direction of a moving body by x degrees (Newton basics)?

2. Relevant equations

Tangential acceleration = dv/dt

Centripetal acceleration = m*v^2/r

F = ma

3. The attempt at a solution

Is the centripetal force the only relevant component? If so I can calculate this. If it is the sum of centripetal and tangential then I am stuck, for I do not know how to estimate the tangential load (I do not know what the change in velocity will be over time). I know the capsule forward velocity, mass, and the radius of curvature (for the curve it is to traverse).

Thanks for any help. I know this is very basic physics, and confess I should know the answer!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2
    The force would be equal to the centripetal acceleration*mass. If you are given the radius of curvature, then use the equation for centripetal acceleration*mass.

F = mv^2/R

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3
    Thanks. I was resigned to just using the centripetal formula despite reading elsewhere that there are two force components: tangential and centripetal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook