1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you find a curve pipe bending moment and shear force?

1. Nov 13, 2017 #1

HHJ

A2AD2F3D-D410-4891-98B3-F950A9934C63.jpeg 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have problem solving the bending moment and shear force of a conduit with a curve end. The conduit is lifted in the mid-air with 2 slings and assume it is in equillibrum.

I have attach a drawing for reference.

2. Relevant equations
    What i know, there is a UDL somewhere and the forces y of F1 and F2 is = to the total weight of the whole conduit.

Formula for moment at :

Lecturer told me to use differentiation:
    dMx/dx=0

* thread TBC......
    3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2017 #2
    Your equation is unreadable and the parameters in the equation are not defined.

What is the first step in solving a problem like this (hint: it is not plugging numbers into an equation)? Go back to fundamentals.

4. Nov 13, 2017 #3

HHJ

Sir Chestermiller, thanks for the quick reply. Im still editing this post please bear with me.

5. Nov 13, 2017 #4

HHJ

If my post is unbearable do you need to spam on the threat?

6. Nov 13, 2017 #5
    I don't see any spam (yet).

7. Nov 13, 2017 #6
    I see your notations on the diagram. What do you get for the values of F1 and F2? What was your rationale in splitting the length into the specific sections 1, 2, and 3? From the geometry indicated on the diagram, what is the length of section 3? Do you need to determine the shear force and bending moment in section 3?

8. Nov 14, 2017 #7

HHJ

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

9. Nov 14, 2017 #8

HHJ

The values for F1&F2 =192064.1831Newton. The splitting of the pipe length is because the material and Shape is different. Length of section 3 = 5.985m. Yes i need to determine the whole BM & SF.

10. Nov 14, 2017 #9
    There is something wrong with your determination of the length of section 3. The subtended angle is 97.13 degrees, not 90 degrees. Also, the gravitational force is not perpendicular to section 3. The component normal to the pipe in section 3 is g cos (s/R), where s is the arc length along the pipe in section 3. This affects the shear force and moment calculation. How did you determine the center of mass (was this given to you)? Did you check to see if it is correct?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted