Calculate the maximum force on a wheel passing over an obstacle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a rigid wheel for a 4 wheel vehicle that needs to traverse rough terrain. The proposed design is a cylinder with two disks and spokes. The speaker is unsure of the thickness and number of spokes needed, so they plan to find the maximum force on the cylinder when going over an obstacle to determine the thickness. Their approach is to treat the surface as a beam problem and find the required thickness for stiffness and no deflection. They also mention factors they know, such as the wheel diameter and motor torque and RPM. The speaker is seeking help and is unsure how to find the necessary parameters, such as R, and whether their approach is correct. They mention using free body diagrams and conserving angular momentum
Fran
Homework Statement
I have to design a rigid wheel for a 4 wheel vehicle that will be able to traverse rough terrain. The wheel I have in mind is a cylinder with two disks with spokes at almost both edges.

I don't know how thick the cylinder or how many spokes the disks should have so I thought finding the maximum force on the cylinder when going over an obstacle would be a good idea to get a thickness for the cylinder (outer-inner diameter).

Once I had R my idea was to do treat the surface as a beam problem and find the thickness required to achieve a stiffness that leads to no deflection.

Factors I know:
Diameter of wheel
Torque and RPM of motor

Please help me as I've been thinking about this for quite some time as well as doing free body diagrams with no progress. I don't know how to find R or if my approach is the correct one. I basically want to know how thick the sheet that makes the cylinder for the wheel has to be to survive climbing over an obstacle.
Relevant Equations
Free Body Diagrams
Homework Statement: I have to design a rigid wheel for a 4 wheel vehicle that will be able to traverse rough terrain. The wheel I have in mind is a cylinder with two disks with spokes at almost both edges.

I don't know how thick the cylinder or how many spokes the disks should have so I thought finding the maximum force on the cylinder when going over an obstacle would be a good idea to get a thickness for the cylinder (outer-inner diameter).

Once I had R my idea was to do treat the surface as a beam problem and find the thickness required to achieve a stiffness that leads to no deflection.

Factors I know:
Diameter of wheel
Torque and RPM of motor

Please help me as I've been thinking about this for quite some time as well as doing free body diagrams with no progress. I don't know how to find R or if my approach is the correct one. I basically want to know how thick the sheet that makes the cylinder for the wheel has to be to survive climbing over an obstacle.
Homework Equations: Free Body Diagrams

Boceto (16).png

Boceto (17).png

Physics news on Phys.org
Assumption:
Wheel rolls over ground
Hint: Conserve angular momentum around P,the corner point where R acts(No torque acts about P)

From above,you get angular velocity just as wheel begins to roll about corner point P.

Conserve energy: The minimum speed must equal mgh to just climb step(since static friction acts in rolling,this is valid step).

Now put numbers of your choice!

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum force on a wheel passing over an obstacle?

The formula for calculating the maximum force on a wheel passing over an obstacle is F = m * g * sin(θ), where F is the maximum force, m is the mass of the wheel, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. How do you determine the mass of the wheel in the formula for calculating maximum force?

The mass of the wheel can be determined by weighing it on a scale or using the manufacturer's specifications.

3. What is the significance of the angle of the incline in the formula?

The angle of the incline affects the amount of force required to overcome the obstacle. A steeper angle will result in a higher maximum force on the wheel.

4. Can the maximum force on a wheel passing over an obstacle be reduced?

Yes, the maximum force can be reduced by using a larger or wider wheel, decreasing the mass of the wheel, or reducing the angle of the incline.

5. Is there a maximum force that a wheel can withstand?

Yes, every wheel has a maximum load capacity that should not be exceeded in order to avoid damage or failure to the wheel.