1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Why centripetal force does not increase the value of tangent

1. Jul 18, 2016 #1
    2Mpk3.png ]
    I found in a text book that the value does not change because the centripetal force is perpendicular to the tangential velocity.

But I am confused, because a vector can have a component, which is perpendicular to the vector.
    So if the centripetal force is perpendicular to the tangential velocity, the component of the centripetal force which
    is perpendicular to the centripetal force and
    _parallel_ to the tangential velocity is reasonable.so according to that centripetal force can increase the value of tangential velocity.I need help.I have searched everywhere but have not got the answer.
    2Mpk3.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2016 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

By definition, centripetal force is perpendicular to velocity, so it changes the velocities direction but not the speed. For example, consider a car traveling at constant speed on a winding road, the direction changes, but not the speed.

4. Jul 19, 2016 #3
    I know the definition but I want to know why?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2016
  5. Jul 19, 2016 #4

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can decompose a vector into multiple vectors, which have non-zero components perpendicular to the original vector. But those components cancel each other out, so they have no net effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted