vamp00
- 5
- 0
How would you accurately estimate the force of a car crash? Say, a 2,500lb vehicle has an impact with a wall @ 30mph.. How would you accurately estimate the force in LBS, Is it possible?
vamp00 said:infinite??
Ok, let's drop the speed down to 5mph, and instant stop on a wall, vehicle no longer accelerating.
If you know the acceleration then you know the force through F = ma. Note that the entire car cannot stop all at once. The rear end of the car will not deaccelerate at the same rate as the front of the car.vamp00 said:I wasn't trying to get G's, I could probably find that info from accelerometer data from some crash test site... What I want to know is the force IN LBS, if that is possible. E.G: 2,500lb vehicle hits a 10,000lb vehicle, how fast would it have to be moving to move the 10,000lb vehicle? Is there no scientific way to "estimate" this? I am guessing there is a lot of variables that come into play, like if the other vehicle is in park, where it was hit, how many tires it has, etc...
If the stationary vehicle is in neutral, then it takes very little force - perhaps 100lb (people push cars all the time). If the stationary vehicle is in park, then you have to know how much the stationary car can rock back in forth without skidding and how much energy the bumper can absorb (by law, a 5mph collison with a stationary object, with no damage). Remember that ultimately the amount of force required to move a car, if that force is constant, is simply equal to (well, just above) the friction force at the tires.vamp00 said:I wasn't trying to get G's, I could probably find that info from accelerometer data from some crash test site... What I want to know is the force IN LBS, if that is possible. E.G: 2,500lb vehicle hits a 10,000lb vehicle, how fast would it have to be moving to move the 10,000lb vehicle? Is there no scientific way to "estimate" this? I am guessing there is a lot of variables that come into play, like if the other vehicle is in park, where it was hit, how many tires it has, etc...