1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to evaluate what a series converges to?

1. Aug 7, 2010 #1
    I was asked to evaluate the summation of [tex]\frac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex] from n=1 to infinity

I used partial fractions to obtain [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

From here I don't understand how to evaluate. In my solutions manual, they plugged in values from 1 to infinity showing (1 - 1/2+ (1/2 - 1/3)...etc and created a new series called Sn = 1 - [tex]\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex] then took the limit of that to infinity to get the answer 1.

How would I know what Sn should be?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

So you want to evaluate:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n(n+1)} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n} - \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

One way to evaluate it is to consider what happens if you change variables in the second sum to m = n + 1. If you make this change of variables, do you see how you can deduce the solution?
  4. Aug 7, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your series partial sum is (1-1/2)+(1/2-1/3)+...+(1/n-1/(n+1)). Regroup that like this 1+(-1/2+1/2)+(-1/3+1/3)+...+(-1/n+1/n)-1/(n+1). Lots of stuff cancels.
  5. Aug 7, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quick check -- you realize they are (presumably) using Sn for the n-th partial sum? And remember that an infinite sum is the limit of the partial sums?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook