How to evaluate what a series converges to?

• Thread starter Chandasouk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the summation of \frac{1}{n(n+1)} from n=1 to infinity. Partial fractions are used to obtain \frac{1}{n} - \frac{1}{n+1}, and then a new series is created and the limit is taken to infinity to get the answer of 1. Another method is to change variables and regroup the terms to see that many of them cancel out. The notation of Sn is used for the n-th partial sum and it is important to remember that an infinite sum is the limit of the partial sums.
Chandasouk
I was asked to evaluate the summation of [tex]\frac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex] from n=1 to infinity

I used partial fractions to obtain [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

From here I don't understand how to evaluate. In my solutions manual, they plugged in values from 1 to infinity showing (1 - 1/2+ (1/2 - 1/3)...etc and created a new series called Sn = 1 - [tex]\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex] then took the limit of that to infinity to get the answer 1.

How would I know what Sn should be?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want to evaluate:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n(n+1)} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n} - \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

One way to evaluate it is to consider what happens if you change variables in the second sum to m = n + 1. If you make this change of variables, do you see how you can deduce the solution?

Your series partial sum is (1-1/2)+(1/2-1/3)+...+(1/n-1/(n+1)). Regroup that like this 1+(-1/2+1/2)+(-1/3+1/3)+...+(-1/n+1/n)-1/(n+1). Lots of stuff cancels.

Chandasouk said:
How would I know what Sn should be?
Quick check -- you realize they are (presumably) using Sn for the n-th partial sum? And remember that an infinite sum is the limit of the partial sums?

1. What is the definition of convergence for a series?

The definition of convergence for a series is when the terms in the series approach a finite limit as the number of terms in the series approaches infinity. In other words, as more terms are added to the series, the values of the terms get closer and closer to a specific value.

2. How do you determine if a series converges or diverges?

The most common method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series is by using the ratio test or the comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known series that either converge or diverge.

3. Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to one value. If a series has multiple possible limits, it is said to be divergent.

4. What are some common types of series that converge?

Some common types of series that converge include geometric series, telescoping series, and power series. These types of series have well-defined patterns and can be evaluated using specific formulas.

5. What is the importance of evaluating what a series converges to?

Evaluating what a series converges to can help determine the behavior and properties of the series. It can also be used in various mathematical and scientific calculations, such as finding the area under a curve or solving differential equations.