Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to evaluate what a series converges to?

1. Aug 7, 2010 #1
    I was asked to evaluate the summation of [tex]\frac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex] from n=1 to infinity

I used partial fractions to obtain [tex]\frac{1}{n}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

From here I don't understand how to evaluate. In my solutions manual, they plugged in values from 1 to infinity showing (1 - 1/2+ (1/2 - 1/3)...etc and created a new series called Sn = 1 - [tex]\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex] then took the limit of that to infinity to get the answer 1.

How would I know what Sn should be?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2010 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

So you want to evaluate:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n(n+1)} = \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n} - \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

One way to evaluate it is to consider what happens if you change variables in the second sum to m = n + 1. If you make this change of variables, do you see how you can deduce the solution?

4. Aug 7, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your series partial sum is (1-1/2)+(1/2-1/3)+...+(1/n-1/(n+1)). Regroup that like this 1+(-1/2+1/2)+(-1/3+1/3)+...+(-1/n+1/n)-1/(n+1). Lots of stuff cancels.

5. Aug 7, 2010 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quick check -- you realize they are (presumably) using Sn for the n-th partial sum? And remember that an infinite sum is the limit of the partial sums?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook