1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to explain that ∇ ⋅ B = 0 but ∂Bz/∂z can be non zero?

1. Nov 22, 2012 #1
    It is known that Gauss's law for magnetism is ∇ ⋅ B = 0.
    If we write this in component form it becomes (∂Bx/∂x)i + (∂By/∂y)j + (∂Bz/∂z)k = 0, where i, j, k are unit vectors in a cartesian coordinate system and Bx, By, Bz are the components of the magnetic field on these axes.
    It would follow then that all the partial derivatives must be zero: (∂Bx/∂x) = 0, (∂By/∂y) = 0 and (∂Bz/∂z) = 0 for this equation [ (∂Bx/∂x)i + (∂By/∂y)j + (∂Bz/∂z)k = 0 ] to obtain.
    But we know that there are magnetic fields with spatial gradients as, for example, in Stern-Gerlach experiment, where the magnetic force on a dipole of magnetic moment F is m⋅(∂Bz/∂z).
    How to reconcile mathematically ∇ ⋅ B = 0 with the fact that ∂Bz/∂z can be non-zero?
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2012 #2
    In component form ∇.B=0 reads,
    ∂Bx/∂x+∂By/∂y+∂Bz/∂z=0,there is no vector here because the product is scalar as implied by ∇.B

4. Nov 22, 2012 #3

K^2

Science Advisor

It's a dot product. That should tell you right away that the answer needs to be a scalar.

[tex]\nabla \cdot B = \frac{\partial B_x}{\partial x} + \frac{\partial B_y}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial B_z}{\partial z} = 0[/tex]

Any of these can individually be non-zero. So long as the sum is zero.

5. Nov 22, 2012 #4
    Thank you, andrien and K^2. I completely overlooked that ∇ ⋅ B is regarded as a dot product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook