How to find a general expression for derivative

In summary, you have found a general expression for Dxz. Next, you used the chain rule to find the expression for Dz/Dx. Finally, you solved for Dz/Dx by using the equation -2x(4y-1)+3w2y2-2u.
east
Hello everybody,

I am trying to solve this problem but I can't find an answer reading my book :(

Let z=F(u,w,x) where u=f(x,y) and w=g(x,y)

(i) find a general expression for Dxz
(ii) verify your answer in the case where F(u,w,x)=w3-2ux, f(x,y)=4xy-x+1 and g(x,y)=y+xy2

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
east said:
Hello everybody,

I am trying to solve this problem but I can't find an answer reading my book :(

Let z=F(u,w,x) where u=f(x,y) and w=g(x,y)

(i) find a general expression for Dxz
(ii) verify your answer in the case where F(u,w,x)=w3-2ux, f(x,y)=4xy-x+1 and g(x,y)=y+xy2

Many thanks

Other than trying to find it in your book, what else have you tried? Forum rules require you to show your work.

RGV

Yes, I've read the rules, sorry. the point is that I don't know where to stard with :( more than the just the solution I would like some references to books or links where I can study the problem..

thx again

east said:
Yes, I've read the rules, sorry. the point is that I don't know where to stard with :( more than the just the solution I would like some references to books or links where I can study the problem..

thx again

So, are you saying you have never encountered such material before? You have never heard of the chain rule?

RGV

sadly no :( I have to take a test of basic math knowledge and we only have some notes to prepare... but ty for the hint of the chain rule :)

ok, thanks to RVG who explained me where to look for the solution I think I have solved it:

(i): Dz/Dx=DF/Du*DU/Dx+DF/Dw*DW/Dx+DF/Dx

(ii) Dz/Dx= -2x(4y-1)+3w2y2-2u

Is it right? it is fairly easy once discovered which formula to use (if I've used the right one of course)

east said:
ok, thanks to RVG who explained me where to look for the solution I think I have solved it:

Is it right? it is fairly easy once discovered which formula to use (if I've used the right one of course)

Yes, you have made a correct start in part (i) and you have a correct result in part (ii) (although I guess there is an issue of whether or not to plug in the actual values of u and w and do a complete simplification).

RGV

east said:

Yes, that looks good.

I used WolframAlpha to compare:
Your answer after substituting for w & u.

First substituting for w & u in F(u, w, x) then getting the partial derivative of that expression with respect to x .​

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function. It measures how much a function changes in response to a small change in its input.

2. Why do we need to find a general expression for derivative?

Finding a general expression for derivative allows us to calculate the rate of change of any function at any point on its graph. This is useful in many applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

3. What is the process for finding a general expression for derivative?

The process for finding a general expression for derivative involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in input approaches zero. This gives us the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph, which is the derivative.

4. Can we use the general expression for derivative for any type of function?

Yes, the general expression for derivative can be used for any type of function, including polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and more. However, the process for finding the derivative may vary depending on the type of function.

5. How can we apply the general expression for derivative in real life?

The general expression for derivative has many practical applications, such as determining the velocity of an object at a given time, finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, and analyzing the behavior of a system over time. It is also used in fields such as economics, biology, and statistics to model and predict real-world phenomena.