1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find a general expression for derivative

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody,

I am trying to solve this problem but I can't find an answer reading my book :(

Let z=F(u,w,x) where u=f(x,y) and w=g(x,y)

(i) find a general expression for Dxz
    (ii) verify your answer in the case where F(u,w,x)=w3-2ux, f(x,y)=4xy-x+1 and g(x,y)=y+xy2

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Other than trying to find it in your book, what else have you tried? Forum rules require you to show your work.

RGV

4. Oct 4, 2012 #3
    Yes, I've read the rules, sorry. the point is that I don't know where to stard with :( more than the just the solution I would like some references to books or links where I can study the problem..

thx again

5. Oct 4, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, are you saying you have never encountered such material before? You have never heard of the chain rule?

RGV

6. Oct 4, 2012 #5
    sadly no :( I have to take a test of basic math knowledge and we only have some notes to prepare... but ty for the hint of the chain rule :)

7. Oct 4, 2012 #6
    ok, thx to RVG who explained me where to look for the solution I think I have solved it:

(i): Dz/Dx=DF/Du*DU/Dx+DF/Dw*DW/Dx+DF/Dx

(ii) Dz/Dx= -2x(4y-1)+3w2y2-2u

Is it right? it is fairly easy once discovered wich formula to use (if I've used the right one of course)

8. Oct 4, 2012 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you have made a correct start in part (i) and you have a correct result in part (ii) (although I guess there is an issue of whether or not to plug in the actual values of u and w and do a complete simplification).

RGV

9. Oct 4, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that looks good.

I used WolframAlpha to compare:
    Your answer after substituting for w & u.

First substituting for w & u in F(u, w, x) then getting the partial derivative of that expression with respect to x . ​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook