1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find critical points for a differential equation?

1. Sep 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(x,y)= 3x5y2 - 30x3y2 + 60xy2 +150

How do I find the critical points where this equation equals zero?

2. Relevant equations

None?

3. The attempt at a solution

I found the partial derivatives, but I'm stuck now and don't know where to go from here.

dx = 15x4y2 - 90x2y2 + 60y2
    dy = 6x5 - 60x3y + 10xy + 240

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2013 #2

joshmccraney

Gold Member

start by setting both equal to 0! then try quadratic factoring for the dx. the dy should be obvious.

4. Sep 27, 2013 #3

joshmccraney

Gold Member

also, you ask for critical points and where the equation equals zero...are you sure both occur simultaneously? i havent checked but dont assume this to be the case

5. Sep 28, 2013 #4
    Okay so I did that. I got for dx, x = 3 +- sqrt(20)/2
    The first part of dy should actually be 6yx^5.

After I have the dx value, I can sub them into the dy equation which gives approximately y = -0.1545 and y = -3.6099. Where do I go from here? There should be 4 separate (x,y) points.

6. Sep 28, 2013 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Spell things out a little more carefully. What you quote a solution for I think is really saying

∂f/∂x = 0 at all points along (x/y)2 = those numbers, which is actually four lines through the origin I think.

Maybe there is a nice algebraic breakup of your ∂f/∂y but anyway what you are doing should lead you to the four points along the four lines.

Alternative approach is to find (dy/dx)f and its reciprocal and find the points where both are 0. Well same thing really, -(dy/dx)f is the ratio of your two derived polynomials.

Also I think the second of yours, what you call "dy" is mistaken and it works out fairly simply.

You might as well have taken the factor 3 out of your starting equation.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted