1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find force from volumetric flow rate and pressure

1. Oct 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi. This is a problem related to designing a RC hover craft. We are given a datasheet for a fan used as thrust.
    http://imgur.com/6liZSid Sorry image post no working, url: http://imgur.com/a/6XLwL
    We have to approximate the equation to a straight line through the curve. Then relate it to Fthrust = F0+ γ*v. We have to find γ and what F0 represents.

2. Relevant equations
    Q = velocity * Area
    F = mass * acceleration

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found that the slope is -0.285 [m3/s/mmH20]. To find F0, I think the graph has to be turned on its side: pressure is the independent variable and volumetric flow is the dependent. If pressure is zero, I can find F0 which is the y intercept. But how to relate force to volumetric flow or velocity.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2016 #2
    If P is the pressure and A is the area that the pressure acts on, what is the force?

4. Oct 14, 2016 #3
    If pressure is 0, volumetric flow is high, and small pressure * area is small force. As pressure increases, there will be more force with less flow. Makes sense. From start the fan is operating at atmosphere. I get high results when I search for one atmosphere in mm of water. Am I on the right track?

5. Oct 14, 2016 #4
    I have no idea. Can you please provide an exact problem statement?

6. Oct 14, 2016 #5
    (b) We can relate this linear relationship to Fthrust = F0-γv [Note: γ is a constant representing the slope of the F(v) line]. For each fan, based on your approximation in (a), what are the values for F0 and for γ?

7. Oct 14, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, it looks the right way around already, with pressure on the vertical axis. Seems to me you flipped it around in order to get:
    What do you think relates volumetric flow through an aperture to the linear flow rate through it?
    As Chester asks, what relates pressure to force?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted