How to find force parameters if you know the solution?

In summary, the author is asking how to calculate the parameters of a model that depends upon the speed and the drag force. The author does not know how to do this and is asking for help.
jonjacson
Hello folks.

Normally if you have two variables and you want to know their relationship, you can plot them to get an idea of the equation that might relate them. If you see a straight line you can use the least squares method to find the best equation. You can use this method for polynomials higher than one.

But my question is of different nature.

Assume we know the Drag Force can be represented by a funcion that depends upon the velocity, and we assume that its highest degree is 2. So the force is something like this:

Fd = A + B * v + C * v2

Where A, B and C are constants to be calculated using real data and v is the speed.

My question is, if I am given a real path, How could I calculate the best values for A, B and C?

I don't know how to do it because these parameters are put into a differential equation, Newton second law, to calculate the path and there are more forces in it, like gravity for example. But I don't know to work in reverse order, I don't know how to get the parameters starting from the path. So if I knew A,B and C I can calculate the path, but not the opposite.

I hope you understand what I mean. I guess there must be a mathematical technique for this since I am sure I am not the first one solving these type of problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
HI,
jonjacson said:
to work in reverse order
Suppose you have a path, in the form of a set of observations ##(t_i, x_i)## and suppose you have initial guesses for ##A, B, C## -- call them ##A_0, B_0, C_0##. Furthermore, you have a model:$$m\ddot x = A + B\dot x + C\dot x^2.$$
jonjacson said:
So if I knew A,B and C I can calculate the path
means you can calculate the model predictions for the ##x_i## for ##A_0, B_0, C_0##. Call these ##x_{i,m}##.
Next thing to do is minimize the differences between the observed ##x_i## and the predicted ##x_{i,m}## by varying ##A, B, C##. If all measurements are equally accurate, we usually minimize ##\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^N (x_i - x_{i, m})^2##

The method is called parameter estimation, in my example based on least squares minimization.

I left undetermined how this is done: sometimes it can be done analytically, but often numerical methods are needed.

Likes jonjacson
Thanks, I have just found books on "parameter estimation", I guess I can learn what I want there.

I really appreciate your answer.

1. How do I determine the force parameters if I know the solution?

The force parameters can be determined by using the solution to the problem and applying Newton's second law of motion. This law states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. Therefore, by knowing the solution and the mass of the object, you can calculate the force parameters.

2. What is the relationship between force parameters and the solution?

The force parameters are directly related to the solution of the problem. The solution provides information about the motion of the object, and the force parameters determine how that motion is achieved. In other words, the solution tells us what the object is doing, and the force parameters tell us how it is doing it.

3. Can I use any solution to find the force parameters?

No, you cannot use any solution to find the force parameters. The solution must be a valid and accurate representation of the problem at hand. If the solution is incorrect or does not account for all the relevant factors, the force parameters calculated from it will also be incorrect.

4. Are there any other methods for finding force parameters?

Yes, there are other methods for finding force parameters, such as using experimental data or simulations. These methods can provide more accurate results, but they may also require more resources and time. It is important to choose the most appropriate method based on the specific problem and available resources.

5. How can I verify the accuracy of the force parameters calculated from the solution?

The accuracy of the force parameters can be verified by comparing the calculated values to real-world observations or experimental data. If the calculated force parameters accurately predict the behavior of the object, then they can be considered valid. However, if there are significant discrepancies, further analysis and adjustments may be necessary.