Find force parallel to ramp given mass and theta?

In summary, the block on the ramp is experiencing a force due to the gravity acting down. To find the force of the block, one needs to use the kinematics equations and find the acceleration.
cellfoneguy

Homework Statement

There's a block on a ramp. The block weighs 48.9 kg and the ramp's theta (the angle the ramp makes to the ground) is 45. Assumng gravity is 9.8 m/s^2, how would i find the force of the block parallell to the ramp?

Homework Equations

Um..maybe
F=(mu)(m)(g)
F=(mu)(normal force)
or F=ma
and all 4 kinematics equations:
D=((vi+vf)/2)*t
vf=vi+at
D=vi*t+((at^2)/2)
vf^2=vi^2+2(a)(d)

The Attempt at a Solution

So first i drew it out. the block is accelerating down the ramp, and for the FBD i found the force of gravity acting straight down (Which can be broken down into two vectors, one perpendicular to the ramp and one parallel to it), the normal force perpendicular to the slope, the acceleration downwards, and the friction backwards.
Then I'm totally baffled. Am i supposed to use the kinematics equations to find acceleration to find the block's force or soh cah toa to find his friction?
And sorry if I'm doing this wrong, this is my first post and I'm one confused little boy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi cellfoneguy, welcome to PF.
In the problem they have not mentioned the friction. So you need not take into account the frictional force while calculating the force on the block. The component of the weight of the block parallel to the ramp is the force on the block.

So if i draw a right triangle using down (Gravity=9.8) as its hypotenuse, and the adjacent side perpendicular to the block, and the opposite side parallel to the block, maybe i can find the adjacent side? But i don't know the theta of above mentioned triangle.

the ramp's theta (the angle the ramp makes to the ground) is 45
What is this? Draw the FBD and identify the angles.

here's both the given info and the FBD i drew

Attachments

• fadsfasdf.bmp
    263.5 KB · Views: 626
  • aaaaaaaaaaa.bmp
    263.5 KB · Views: 549
From the diagram can you find the angle between the gravity and the perpendicular to the ramp? Once you do that, find the parallels and the perpendicular components of the weight.

uh...i'm a little confused.
so i know that if i get the angle between gravity and the ramp's perpendicular, i can find both the parallel and the perpendicular to the ramp, the two vectors of the gravity force. So i know that to find the force of the block ill need net force. To find net force, that's just the vector of the gravity force that is parallel to the ramp, right?...
If that is right, then how do i find the theta for the gravity vector triangle?

Right.

hmm. So then the gravity force triangle's theta is...45?

AH HA I HAVE IT NOW
thanks so much rl.bhat!

1. What is the formula for finding the force parallel to a ramp?

The formula for finding the force parallel to a ramp is F = mgsin(theta), where F is the force parallel to the ramp, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of the ramp.

2. How do I determine the direction of the force parallel to the ramp?

The direction of the force parallel to the ramp will always be in the direction of the ramp, regardless of the angle of the ramp or the mass of the object. This is because the force parallel to the ramp is caused by the component of the object's weight that is acting in the direction of the ramp.

3. Can the force parallel to the ramp be greater than the weight of the object?

Yes, the force parallel to the ramp can be greater than the weight of the object. This can occur when the angle of the ramp is steep, resulting in a larger component of the object's weight acting in the direction of the ramp.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the force parallel to the ramp?

The mass of the object directly affects the force parallel to the ramp, as shown in the formula F = mgsin(theta). As the mass of the object increases, the force parallel to the ramp will also increase, assuming the angle of the ramp and acceleration due to gravity remain constant.

5. Can the angle of the ramp affect the force parallel to the ramp?

Yes, the angle of the ramp can affect the force parallel to the ramp. As the angle of the ramp increases, the force parallel to the ramp will also increase, assuming the mass of the object and acceleration due to gravity remain constant. This is because the component of the object's weight acting in the direction of the ramp will become larger as the angle of the ramp increases.