1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find KE and PE without mass

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    I am working on Computational physics homework and it asks to find the kinetic and potential energy of a simple pendulum. My only issue is that i don't know how to solve it without mass.
    It gives me :
    theta (pendulum angle)
    omega (pendulum angular Velocity)
    t (time)
    length (length of string)
    dt (time step)

I was looking at the kinetic energy equation and maybe I need to use Inertia for where KE = (1/2) (inertia)(omega) ? but then how would i find inertia?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi alex steve, Welcome to Physic Forums

Please be sure to retain and use the formatting template that is provided in the edit window when posting a question in the homework areas of the forums. This is a requirement of the forum rules.

If no mass or moment of inertia are provided then the best you can do is provide a symbolic result, or assume an arbitrary value of mass for the problem.

An alternative is to use "specific" values. A specific value is a per-unit-mass value. For example, one might say that the specific kinetic energy of some object is 20 Joules per kg. If the body turned out to have a mass of 1 kg then it would have a KE of 20 J. If it turned out to be 100 kg, then it would have 2000 J of KE. Specific values are handy in some areas where particular mass values aren't known or don't matter too much to the details of the problem. A case in point might be where one is equating a change in potential energy to a change in kinetic energy. Normally one would write something like ##M g Δh = 1/2 M v^2##. Note that the M's cancel on both sides. So you could just write it as ##g Δh = 1/2 v^2##.

##g Δh## would be the "specific potential energy, and ##v^2/2## would be the specific kinetic energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted