How to find KE and PE without mass

• Thread starter alex steve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the kinetic and potential energy of a simple pendulum for a computational physics homework problem. The main issue is not having a given mass or moment of inertia. Suggestions are made to use a symbolic result or specific values for the problem.
alex steve
I am working on Computational physics homework and it asks to find the kinetic and potential energy of a simple pendulum. My only issue is that i don't know how to solve it without mass.
It gives me :
theta (pendulum angle)
omega (pendulum angular Velocity)
t (time)
length (length of string)
dt (time step)

I was looking at the kinetic energy equation and maybe I need to use Inertia for where KE = (1/2) (inertia)(omega) ? but then how would i find inertia?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi alex steve, Welcome to Physic Forums

Please be sure to retain and use the formatting template that is provided in the edit window when posting a question in the homework areas of the forums. This is a requirement of the forum rules.

If no mass or moment of inertia are provided then the best you can do is provide a symbolic result, or assume an arbitrary value of mass for the problem.

An alternative is to use "specific" values. A specific value is a per-unit-mass value. For example, one might say that the specific kinetic energy of some object is 20 Joules per kg. If the body turned out to have a mass of 1 kg then it would have a KE of 20 J. If it turned out to be 100 kg, then it would have 2000 J of KE. Specific values are handy in some areas where particular mass values aren't known or don't matter too much to the details of the problem. A case in point might be where one is equating a change in potential energy to a change in kinetic energy. Normally one would write something like ##M g Δh = 1/2 M v^2##. Note that the M's cancel on both sides. So you could just write it as ##g Δh = 1/2 v^2##.

##g Δh## would be the "specific potential energy, and ##v^2/2## would be the specific kinetic energy.

1. How do I find the kinetic energy without knowing the mass?

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. If you do not know the mass, you can still find the kinetic energy by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. You can use this formula for any object with a known velocity.

2. Can I calculate potential energy without knowing the mass?

Yes, you can calculate potential energy without knowing the mass. The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. If you do not know the mass, you can still calculate potential energy by using the formula PE = mgh, as long as you know the height and acceleration due to gravity.

3. How can I determine the kinetic energy if I only know the velocity?

You can determine the kinetic energy if you only know the velocity by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. If you do not know the mass, you can still find the kinetic energy as long as you know the velocity. However, keep in mind that the kinetic energy will vary depending on the mass of the object.

4. Is it possible to calculate potential energy if I do not know the height of the object?

No, it is not possible to calculate potential energy without knowing the height of the object. The formula for potential energy is PE = mgh, and without knowing the height, you cannot accurately calculate the potential energy. You can estimate the height if you know the mass and potential energy, but it will not be an exact calculation.

5. Can I find the kinetic and potential energy of an object without knowing its mass or velocity?

No, it is not possible to find the kinetic and potential energy of an object without knowing its mass or velocity. Both of these factors are essential in calculating these types of energy. However, you can estimate the kinetic and potential energy by using known values and making assumptions about the mass and velocity of the object.