How to Find Tangential Velocity and Acceleration on a Frictionless Curve?

  • Thread starter Thread starter the_d
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
the_d
Messages
127
Reaction score
0
:smile: I have a 5 kg block goin down a frictionless curve of radius 5 meters. I need to know the tangential velocity at 60 degrees from the center of the curve and its acceleration at the midpoint of the curve.

i have drawn a FBD of the block, where do i go from there?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would use energy instead of forces for this one.

I don't get what you mean at 60 degrees from the center of the curve... do you mean 60 degrees from the top of the quarter circle? In that case, you should use trig to figure out how far it's fallen.

For the acceleration, the acceleration at the midpoint is just as if the block was lying on a straight slope with equal angle to the horizontal as the tangent line is at that point
 
Office_Shredder said:
I would use energy instead of forces for this one.

I don't get what you mean at 60 degrees from the center of the curve... do you mean 60 degrees from the top of the quarter circle? In that case, you should use trig to figure out how far it's fallen.

For the acceleration, the acceleration at the midpoint is just as if the block was lying on a straight slope with equal angle to the horizontal as the tangent line is at that point


when i say 60 degrees i mean from the center of the half circle
 
How do i get the acceleration at the midpoint of the curve?