1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find tangential velocity of a mass?

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    WlCZ6.png

2. Relevant equations

Vτ = r(ω)

ω=dθ/dt

3. The attempt at a solution

I have gone through this section in my book and see nothing about doing this with masses involved. There's no time involved in this question so how do you get ω? I'm really lost here, any initial guidance would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Analyze forces on the mass and apply Newton's 2nd law. Hint: What kind of acceleration does the mass experience?

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3
    Draw your force diagram and ask yourself, in which direction do the forces add to zero and in which direction do they not. And in the direction where there is acceleration, what kind of acceleration do you have and what equations are associated with that type of acceleration. Be careful on that diagram. You might want to post it first before going any further.

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4
    Acceleration is in the x-direction and forces add to 0 in y?

6. Dec 8, 2011 #5
    True - There is no vertical motion so the forces in the y direction are indeed zero
    And there is acceleration along the x axis but look at the path the object makes. The x axis is what part of that geometric shape?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook