How to Find the Angle of a Jetliner's Turn?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
torresmido
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
I need help with this homework problem:

Making a turn, a jetliner flies 2.1km on a circular path of radius 3.4km. Through what angle does it turn?

Any ideas that would help me in doing it??

thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you try the forum specifically for homework, you will probably get more help there. :smile:
 
torresmido said:
I need help with this homework problem:

Making a turn, a jetliner flies 2.1km on a circular path of radius 3.4km. Through what angle does it turn?

Any ideas that would help me in doing it??

thanks

The formula for calculating the circumference [tex]\pi d[/tex]. You have the radius which is half the diametre, so in this case the diametre is 6.8. Now plug those figures into the formula. It should look like this...

[tex]\pi 6.8 = 21.35[/tex]

Now that you have the total circumference, you want to find out what fraction of the circumference the plane travels. I would do this by trying to find what 1 degree is, so I would go

[tex]\frac{360}{21.35}[/tex]

Now that you have what 1 degree is in relation to a length, you simply multiply

[tex]\frac{360}{21.35}2.1[/tex]

This will give you the angle in which the plane has travelled. It should be around 36 degrees but I will let you finish it off.

If you are having any trouble just say :smile: