How to find the antiderivative of cot(x)

  • Thread starter Thread starter sonofjohn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Antiderivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
46 replies · 9K views


sonofjohn said:
I see where the 60 seconds is coming from in the e^60k but not where the y/2 comes from on the other side of the equation.

That's probably what HALF life means
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Ahhh, got it that makes sense :) So now do I plug the dy/dt = ky into the equation?
 


If I solve for k I would need to take the natural log of both sides and get k = 30lny
 


jgens said:
Write your equation in terms of y and then solve.

Edit: try this. We know y = e^kt. If we let y designate the initial amount of the isotope then y = e^k. Now based on the information we may express the half life as: y/2 = e^60k or y = 2e^60k. Equate the two and solve.

Why does y = e^k? If y denotes the initial amount i.e. when t = 0...
 


Bah, good point NoMoreExams. I need to be more careful when giving homework advice.

I'm terribly sorry sonofjohn.
 


No problem. What the OP should understand is what half life means i.e. we are told at some point time t, half of your stuff is gone. I.e. if y is the total amount, then as you said y/2 is half of the amount we are told that that happens at time t = 60 seconds.

So y/2 = e^(60*k).

We also know that initially, i.e. at t = 0, we had the whole amount i.e.

y = e^(0*k) = 1

Now you know y = 1 and y/2 = e^(60k). I am hopeful you can solve for k
 


sonofjohn said:
haha no worries. So instead what should I do?

Refresh the page and read what I said probably.
 


sonofjohn said:
Great! k = 60ln(1/2) or (a). Thanks!

Are you serious...
 


sigh, shouldn't it be ln(1/2)/60 = k thus giving me (b)