How to find the Bond length of N(2)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mutebuttongt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Bond Length
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Mutebuttongt
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I know that The diameter is 0.33nm but I am not sure if this is relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution


The sources I have found say that bond strength is not something you calculate but look up. This seems unlikely to be the case for this question however I cannot find a way to do it.

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mutebuttongt said:

Homework Statement



I know that The diameter is 0.33nm but I am not sure if this is relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution


The sources I have found say that bond strength is not something you calculate but look up. This seems unlikely to be the case for this question however I cannot find a way to do it.

Thank you
I think this belongs in the introductory physics section. If you have the radial distribution function representing the number density of other N2 atoms in some sphere around a particular N2 atom, then you will observe a peak at a distance < diameter of a nitrogen atom. Consider why this may be the case. Knowing the definition of bond length and with reference to the radial distribution function, you can compute the bond length.