How to find the final angular velocity

In summary, the carousel has mass 4m, radius r, and inertia I = 2mr^2. The 4 people then go all the way to the center of the carousel. The final angular velocity W1 = 3W0.
zami

Homework Statement

4 persons each with mass m stand out on the edge of the carousel that rotates with angular velocity W0. carousel has mass 4m, radius r and inertia I = 2mr^2. The 4 persons then go all the way to the center of the carousel.

Show that the final angular velocity W1 = 3W0
See figure: https://imgur.com/a/uHeg1E8

Homework Equations

Li = Lf
IW1 = IW0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried IW0 = IW1, but the inertia will become 0 because the radius is 0 when the masses are in the center?
2mr^2 * W0 = I * W1
W1 = 2mr^2 * W0 / I
But I is zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello zami, :welcome:
What about the carousel itself ?

This is the problem, I don't understand if it has mass 4m without the 4 people on it or with people on it. Is it possible to solve this problem if the carousel is massless?

What's is te TOTAL initial Inertia? And the final? Where are the people at the begin?

I have used your equations and I have obtained the result.

Likes zami
carrousel has a mas 4m is in the statemen of the problem. And also 4 people: 4m
Ok I can be wrong, but I've obtained the result with your equations
Edit: why you say that the final inertia I is zero? carrousel moves and in the statement say that has mass.

Ic = 2*m*r^2
Ip = 4*m*r^2
Io =Ic+Ip = 6*m*r^2
L = ωo*Io = 6*m*r^2*ωo
angular momentum L is conserved
ω1 = L/Ip = 6*m*r^2*ωo/(2*m*r^2) = 3*ωo

I think I misunderstood the question at the beginning and assumed that the carousel is massless, but if it has mass = 4m without the 4 people this should be the right answer. I don't know if it is possible to answer this question if the carousel is massless.

I have made the same calculus

Great thanks, It was just me misunderstanding the question. Thanks for the help.

1. How do I calculate the final angular velocity?

The final angular velocity can be calculated using the formula: ωf = ωi + αt, where ωf is the final angular velocity, ωi is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time taken.

2. What is the unit of final angular velocity?

The unit of final angular velocity is radians per second (rad/s) in the SI system. In some cases, it may also be expressed in revolutions per minute (rpm).

3. How does angular acceleration affect the final angular velocity?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to the final angular velocity, meaning that the greater the angular acceleration, the greater the final angular velocity. This can be seen in the formula: ωf = ωi + αt, where α is the angular acceleration.

4. Can the final angular velocity be negative?

Yes, the final angular velocity can be negative. A negative value indicates that the object is rotating in the opposite direction compared to its initial direction. Positive angular velocity indicates clockwise rotation, while negative angular velocity indicates counterclockwise rotation.

5. How can I use conservation of angular momentum to find the final angular velocity?

To use conservation of angular momentum to find the final angular velocity, you need to know the initial angular momentum and the moment of inertia of the object. The formula for conservation of angular momentum is: ωiIi = ωfIf, where ωi is the initial angular velocity, Ii is the initial moment of inertia, ωf is the final angular velocity, and If is the final moment of inertia. You can rearrange this formula to solve for ωf.