How to find the forces in a particular framework of light rods

In summary, the conversation is about finding the external forces and force in each rod in a framework of light rods. The question involves finding Fa, Fb, T1-T7, and using the length of the sides marked with a single bar "L" and the angle Ѳ on the diagram. The conversation discusses resolving forces and using equations to obtain the individual values, but there is confusion about the angle Ѳ and whether or not it was given in the problem. The book answers are provided, but there is a discrepancy with the symmetry of the loads W and 2W and their weights. Overall, there is a discussion about the steps involved in solving the problem.
gnits
Homework Statement
How to find the forces in a particular framework of light rods
Relevant Equations
Equating of forces
Could I please ask for help in how to do this question.

Is it in fact well formed, can it be solved as it is or do I need more information?

Q. Find the external forces and the force in each rod in the following framework of light rods which is supported and A and C:

forces.png

So, I need to find Fa, Fb and T1, T2, T3, T4, T5, T6 and T7 in terms of W.

I mark all forces as pointing towards the ends of the rods so that in the answers a negative value indicates a force towards the centre of a rod.

I call the length of the sides marked with a single bar "L".

I have labelled the angle Ѳ on the diagram for use in the following.

Taking the framework as a whole and resolving vertically gives:

Fa + Fc = 3W

Taking moments about A gives:

Fc * 3L = W * L + 2W * 2L and so this gives Fc = 5W/3 and so we also now know that Fa = 4W/3. These answers agree with the book answers.

Now, looking at the forces incident at A and resolving vertically we have:

T1 * cos(Ѳ) = 4W/3

and resolving horizontally we have that

T1 * sin(Ѳ) + T5 = 0.

From this, using cos^Ѳ + sin^Ѳ = 1 we can obtain:

16W^2 + 9*T5^2 = 9 * T1^2.

Now this agrees with the book answers for T5 and T1 (which are given individually), but I cannot see how to get them individually.

(In previous questions of this type I had always been provided with the angle of the figure - in this case, if I knew Ѳ then I could obtain T1 and T5 individually).

If I take the book answers for T1 and T5 and use my equations above I get that the principal value of Ѳ = 60 degrees. Does that need to be marked in the diagram for the question to be possible? Or should I be able to see how to derive the angle from the given geometry?

Here are the book answers:

T1 = 8W/3
T2 = 10W/3
T3 = -5*sqrt(3)W / 3
T4 = -sqrt(3)W
T5 = -4*sqrt(3)W/3
T6 = -4*sqrt(3)W/3
T7 = -2*sqrt(3)W/3

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I don't completely understand your question.
That angle is very important, because the higher the location of node B is, the lower the value of each internal tension should be.

Lnewqban said:
Sorry, I don't completely understand your question.
That angle is very important, because the higher the location of node B is, the lower the value of each internal tension should be.
That's very helpful to hear. You see, in the book the diagram is presented without any angle being given. I was thinking that I must be missing something. I don't think that it is solvable without the angle being given. In this case Ѳ = 60⁰.

Last edited:
Is it possible that somehow they give proportions of the formed triangles, or lengths of the bars, or A-B-C-D-C distances?

Lnewqban said:
Is it possible that somehow they give proportions of the formed triangles, or lengths of the bars, or A-B-C-D-C distances?
No, nothing else is given. I'll assume that 60⁰ was meant to be given and go from there.

Thanks.

Likes Lnewqban
gnits said:
Homework Statement:: How to find the forces in a particular framework of light rods
Relevant Equations:: Equating of forces

T1 = 8W/3
T2 = 10W/3
T3 = -5*sqrt(3)W / 3
T4 = -sqrt(3)W
T5 = -4*sqrt(3)W/3
T6 = -4*sqrt(3)W/3
T7 = -2*sqrt(3)W/3
I am a little bit surprised to see it says
[tex]T_1 \neq T_2, T_6 \neq T_7, T_3 \neq T_5[/tex]
after looking at your sketch which shows axis symmetry wrt vertical line passing B that would suggest
[tex]T_1 = T_2, T_6 = T_7, T_3 = T_5[/tex]
Something seems to be wrong with the answer or the sketch at least.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
I am a little bit surprised to see it says
[tex]T_1 \neq T_2, T_6 \neq T_7, T_3 \neq T_5[/tex]
after looking at your sketch which shows axis symmetry wrt vertical line passing B that would suggest
[tex]T_1 = T_2, T_6 = T_7, T_3 = T_5[/tex]
Something seems to be wrong with the answer or the sketch at least.
Please, note that loads W and 2W are located in symmetry with respect to the vertical line passing B, but the summation or total force is off-center.

Please, see this, in principle, similar example:
https://mathalino.com/reviewer/engineering-mechanics/problem-407-warren-truss-method-joints

Likes anuttarasammyak
Thanks. I observed Loads W and 2W are put not symmetrical.

Likes Lnewqban
anuttarasammyak said:
Thanks. I observed Loads W and 2W are put not symmetrical.
Then your observation was incorrect. Loads W and 2W are positioned symmetrically, but they are obviously not of equal weight and so their weights are not distributed symmetrically.

If the book answer is right the settings of the problem seem to be
[tex]\angle BAE=\frac{\pi}{6}, \angle BED = \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]

anuttarasammyak said:
If the book answer is right the settings of the problem seem to be
[tex]\angle BAE=\frac{\pi}{6}, \angle BED = \frac{\pi}{3}[/tex]
Can I chip in...

Let α = ∠BED = ∠BDE

Resolving vertically at point D gives ##|T_7| sinα = 2W##.
Resolving vertically at point E gives ##|T_6| sinα = W##.
This means ##T_7## should have twice the magnitude of ##T_6##. But the ‘official’ answers (as given in Post #6) say the opposite.

It looks like the official answers for ##T_6## and ##T_7## are the wrong way round. If that’s the case, I think that's consistent with ##α = \frac {\pi}{3}##.

Likes anuttarasammyak
Steve4Physics said:
It looks like the official answers for T6 and T7 are the wrong way round.
Thanks for nice observation. For investigation in #10 I made the symmetric case in both load position and load quantity, that is
[tex]t_1=t_2=T_1+T_2[/tex]
[tex]t_3=t_5=T_3+T_5[/tex]
[tex]t_6=t_7=T_6+T_7[/tex]
[tex]t_4=2T_4[/tex]
where new t's are tensions where loads 3W are put on E and D. This process happened to hide that wrong way round.

1. What is a framework of light rods?

A framework of light rods is a structure made up of interconnected light rods that are used to support or reinforce a larger structure. These light rods are typically made of lightweight materials such as aluminum or carbon fiber.

2. How do you determine the forces in a framework of light rods?

The forces in a framework of light rods can be determined through the use of equations and principles of statics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of equilibrium. This involves analyzing the external forces acting on the framework and the internal forces within the light rods themselves.

3. What factors affect the forces in a framework of light rods?

The forces in a framework of light rods are affected by several factors, including the material properties of the rods, the geometry and arrangement of the rods, and the external loads acting on the framework. Additionally, any joints or connections between the rods can also impact the forces within the structure.

4. Can computer simulations be used to find the forces in a framework of light rods?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to analyze and determine the forces in a framework of light rods. These simulations use mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the behavior of the structure under different loading conditions, providing a more accurate and efficient way to determine the forces within the framework.

5. What are some real-world applications of analyzing the forces in a framework of light rods?

The analysis of forces in a framework of light rods is important in various engineering and construction applications. This includes the design of lightweight and efficient structures, such as bridges, towers, and aircraft, as well as the optimization of existing structures for better performance and safety.