1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the k constant of a spring?

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    EDIT: I just found the homework board, mods: don't bother moving this thread, just delete it. Thanks

We had a lab where we launch springs with an unknown k constant to a target 2.01m away and 0.22m high. We also know the angle at which we shot the spring.

We need to find the k constant of the spring, so my question is, does the kinetic energy matter?

Will the equation be:

Eg + Ee = Eg + Ek (The spring had gravitational potential as it was launched a bit higher than the reference position (the table)

or

Eg + Ee = Eg

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2009 #2
    If I did the Eg + Ee = Eg method, then my k constant turned out to be 2.752 N/m.

The spring's length at equilibrium is 0.04m; the spring is quite tiny.

Does this k constant seem to small?

4. Apr 7, 2009 #3
    Also, using F= kx, the force contained in the spring when x = 0.035m, is 0.09632N

Are these values too small, which could possibly hint the method I tried is wrong?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook