How to find the magnetic flux thru a bent loop with given angle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
dc5itr888
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 10cm x 10cm square is bent at a 90 degree angle. A uniform 0.050T magnetic field points downward at 45 degree angle. What is the magnetic flux through the loop?

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q113/duckman_011/Image.jpg"

Homework Equations



Magnetic Flux= Area of eff *B ( Magnetic Field).
Magnetic Flux= A eff*B*cos(theta).


The Attempt at a Solution



Given:
B ( Magnetic Field) = 0.050 Tesla
Angle of 45 degree of the bent loop
Area = 10cm x 10cm

Magnetic Flux= A eff*B*cos(theta).

(0.10 cm * 0.10 cm) * 0.050 T * cos 45 degree = 3.535 e -4 Wb


Im not sure if that is correct. Although the problem gives us a area of 10cm x 10cm it seems to easy to just treat 10cm x 10cm as as the area of effected?

Do I need to incorporate 5cm for the base and 10 cm for the height?
If I do I have

(.5cm * .10cm)^2 * 0.050 * cos 45 degree = .0025 *0.050 * cos 45 degrees = 8.838e-5

I doubled .5cm * .10cm cause there is a left and right
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org