Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the most far and most close ( points on curve ) to another point ?

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    how to find the "most far and most close" ( points on curve ) to another point ?

i'm studying a chapter on how to find maxima and minima values of a function using partial derivatives.

one of the problems is the following:
    "if plane [itex]z=x+y+1[/itex] intersects cone [itex]z^2=x^2+y^2[/itex]
    let the curve that result from intersection, is C
    What is the most far and most close points on C, with respect to (0,0,0) ? and also with respect to [itex](x_1,y_1,z_1)[/itex]"

i think that that curve would be something like a circle, and that there would be some function that depends on the length between "(0,0,0) or [itex](x_1,y_1,z_1)[/itex]", and "any point on C".

But what is that function ?
    And how to work out that problem ?

* i've exam in that chapter after about 10 hours, so please try to answer me with detailed answer as i've no time for discussions for now, may be i do that later.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi AbuYusufEg! :smile:

Hint: the distance2 from (0,0,0) to (x,y,z) is x2 + y2 + z2

and to help find the intersection, I suggest you rearrange z = x + y + 1 and then square it. :wink:

4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    Re: how to find the "most far and most close" ( points on curve ) to another point ?

yes i got that, but i want the points that ONLY on the curve C, i think that (x,y,z) is any point.
    So, How can i get the points that only on the curve C ?

5. Jan 15, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Rearrange z = x + y + 1 and then square it, and compare with z2 = x2 + y2 :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?