1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find the net force, acceleration, and speed of Hovercraft?

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    A toy hovercraft has a mass of 914g. Each of the two fans pushes back on the air with a force of 0.38 N.

a. If there's no friction acting on the hovercraft, what is the net force acting on it?
    b. What is the acceleration of the hovercraft?
    c. If you start with the hovercraft at rest, and operated the fans for 5.0 , what will the final speed of the hovercraft be?

I think I'm supposed to get an equation for the net force but I'm not sure how to find the equation. The rest of them, I'm not so sure.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2
    How are the fans oriented?

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    Both fans are pointing towards one side

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
    Are they oriented at an angle? If so, use vector algebra to find the net horizontal force. Then remember F=ma and time-dependent kinematics for the other two.

6. Oct 13, 2012 #5
    So if the hovercraft was a box shape, the fans are both oriented at 90 degree angles in the same direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook