How to find theta in a mutiple slit question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a diffraction grating with 14100 lines per 2.54 cm to view the visible spectrum from a Hydrogen gas excited by an electrical discharge. The question posed is at what angle from the beam axis will the first order peak for red photons with a wavelength of 0.656 μm occur. The correct solution involves calculating d using the given information, and then using the formula d sinΘ= m λ to find Θ. The user has attempted this solution and arrived at an answer, but is unsure if it is correct due to the system not accepting it.
MartinFreeman

Homework Statement

A diffraction grating with 14100 lines per 2.54 cm (i.e., per in.) is used to view the visible spectrum from a Hydrogen gas excited by an electrical discharge. At what angle from the beam axis will the first order peak for the red photons with wavelength of 0.656 μm occur?

Homework Equations

d sinΘ= m λ

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think I've got the right awnser, but apparent not.

so here is what I've done , to get d : 0.0254m/14100 = 1.801E-6

Θ = sin^-1 ( 656E-9 / 1.801E-6 ) = 21.36ο .

However, this is not the correct answer. I was wondering how I might have made a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a feeling that maybe this question is much more complicated than my 3 step calculation...

MartinFreeman said:

Homework Statement

A diffraction grating with 14100 lines per 2.54 cm (i.e., per in.) is used to view the visible spectrum from a Hydrogen gas excited by an electrical discharge. At what angle from the beam axis will the first order peak for the red photons with wavelength of 0.656 μm occur?

Homework Equations

d sinΘ= m λ

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I think I've got the right awnser, but apparent not.

so here is what I've done , to get d : 0.0254m/14100 = 1.801E-6

Θ = sin^-1 ( 656E-9 / 1.801E-6 ) = 21.36ο .

However, this is not the correct answer. I was wondering how I might have made a mistake?

What you have done is correct. What are you told is the correct answer?

lychette said:
What you have done is correct. What are you told is the correct answer?
Unfortunately the system only accepts correct answers, but does not accept wrong awnsers, So... i don't know. But it's good to know i did the right work. Il mark it solved , thanks for your help.

1. How many slits are there in a multiple slit question?

The number of slits in a multiple slit question can vary, depending on the specific setup and experimental conditions. However, in most cases, there are at least two slits present.

2. What is the purpose of finding theta in a multiple slit question?

Finding theta in a multiple slit question helps to determine the angle at which light waves diffract and interfere with each other as they pass through the slits. This information is crucial in understanding the resulting interference pattern observed on a screen or detector.

3. How do you calculate theta in a multiple slit question?

The formula for calculating theta in a multiple slit question is: θ = sin^-1(mλ/d), where θ is the angle of diffraction, m is the order of the interference pattern, λ is the wavelength of the incident light, and d is the distance between the slits.

4. Can theta be a negative value in a multiple slit question?

No, theta cannot be a negative value in a multiple slit question. It represents an angle, and angles are always measured as positive values.

5. What factors can affect the value of theta in a multiple slit question?

The value of theta can be affected by the wavelength of the incident light, the distance between the slits, and the order of the interference pattern. It can also be influenced by any obstructions or disturbances in the path of the light waves, such as a barrier or a secondary diffraction source.