How to find this rate of change?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the rate of change of a function at a given point on a specific plane, as well as the difference between slope and gradient. It is determined that the rate of change can be found by evaluating the gradient vector at the given point, and that the length of the gradient represents the highest rate of change.
supermiedos

Homework Statement

Given f(x, y, z) = 3x + 2y + 4z, find its rate of change at (1, 2, 3) on the plane y = 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since y is constant, I don't know if I have to find ∂f/∂x or ∂f/∂z. It's a homework problem, but I don't know if it was bad written by the teacher. Could you help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rate of change with respect to what?
x and z? I think I would calculate those derivatives and evaluate them at the given point.
Maximal change for any direction? This can be evaluated, too (it has to be in the xz-plane here).

mfb said:
Rate of change with respect to what?
x and z? I think I would calculate those derivatives and evaluate them at the given point.
Maximal change for any direction? This can be evaluated, too (it has to be in the xz-plane here).

That's exactly what I tought. There are two answers here, right? If i remember, the maximal change can be calculated using gradients, right?

Btw, my teacher says slope and gradients are the same thing... How is that possible? A slope is a number, and the gradient is a vector!

Well, you could define "slope" as the gradient... looks odd, but it is just a definition issue.
If i remember, the maximal change can be calculated using gradients, right?
This is possible, right.

supermiedos said:

Homework Statement

Given f(x, y, z) = 3x + 2y + 4z, find its rate of change at (1, 2, 3) on the plane y = 2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Since y is constant, I don't know if I have to find ∂f/∂x or ∂f/∂z. It's a homework problem, but I don't know if it was bad written by the teacher. Could you help me please?
No, this is not "bad written" (or even "badly written":tongue:). Since you are asked about its rate on change on y= 2, replace y by 2: f(x, z)= 3x+ 4+ 4z. The rate of change of that, at (1, 2, 3) is the length of the gradient vector evaluated at (1, 2, 3). (If the function really is what you wrote without any powers, its gradient vector is a constant and the point (1, 2, 3) is irrelevant.)

HallsofIvy said:
No, this is not "bad written" (or even "badly written":tongue:). Since you are asked about its rate on change on y= 2, replace y by 2: f(x, z)= 3x+ 4+ 4z. The rate of change of that, at (1, 2, 3) is the length of the gradient vector evaluated at (1, 2, 3). (If the function really is what you wrote without any powers, its gradient vector is a constant and the point (1, 2, 3) is irrelevant.)

I see. So, if I have a function f(x, y, z) and I'm asked to find its rate of change at (a, b, c), when, let's say, y = b. I have to find the gradient of f(x, b, y) at that point? But the length of the gradient represents the highest rate of change, right? So the problem must be more specific (since I could also find the lowest rate of change)

supermiedos said:
(since I could also find the lowest rate of change)
This is always zero with 2 or more variables, if the function is differentiable.
But the length of the gradient represents the highest rate of change, right?
Right

1. How do I calculate the rate of change?

The rate of change is calculated by dividing the change in the output variable by the change in the input variable. This is also known as the slope of a line.

2. What is the formula for finding the rate of change?

The formula for finding the rate of change is (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are two points on a line. This formula can be used for both linear and nonlinear relationships.

3. How is the rate of change represented graphically?

The rate of change is represented by the slope of a line on a graph. The steeper the slope, the greater the rate of change. A horizontal line indicates a rate of change of 0, while a vertical line represents infinite rate of change.

4. What factors can affect the rate of change?

The rate of change can be affected by various factors such as time, temperature, pressure, and other physical or environmental variables. It can also be influenced by the starting and ending points of the measurement.

5. How can I interpret the rate of change?

The rate of change provides information about the speed and direction of change in a relationship. A positive rate of change indicates an increase, while a negative rate of change indicates a decrease. The magnitude of the rate of change also indicates the degree of change.