How to find two constants in an equation

• Thread starter Aerosion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constants
In summary, the conversation is about trying to find two constants, c1 and c2, in an initial value problem that involves a two parameter family of equations. The individual has found one relation between the constants, but is still looking for another relation in order to solve for c1 and c2. They are advised to take the first derivative of the equation and use the second given condition to create two linear equations that can be solved for the constants.
Aerosion

Homework Statement

i'm trying to find two constants in the same equation. its an initial value problem

there's a two parameter family x=c1cost+c2sint with initial conditions x''+x=0, x(pi/6)=1/2, and x'(pi/6)=0

so I'm trying to find c1, and i equate the problem to 1/2 and subsitute the t's for pi/6, so it looks like

1/2=c1cos(pi/6)+c2sin(pi/6)

which of course equals sqrt(3)c1/2 + c2/2

but how do i get the values of c1 and c2? I've tried everything and i need them to find a solution

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
well, you already found one relation sqrt(3)c1/2 + c2/2=1/2, to find another relation,

take the first derivative of x=c1cost+c2sint, and apply the second contidion that you are given x'(pi/6)=0

so you'll get two lin. eq in two unknowns, c1,c2, and u should be able to solve it.

1. How can I find two constants in an equation?

There are a few different methods for finding two constants in an equation. One approach is to use substitution, where you plug in known values for the variables and solve for the constants. Another method is to use simultaneous equations, where you set two equations with the same variables equal to each other and solve for the constants.

2. Can I use trial and error to find two constants in an equation?

Yes, trial and error can be used to find two constants in an equation, but it may not be the most efficient method. It involves repeatedly plugging in different values for the constants until the equation is satisfied. This method can be time-consuming and may not always yield accurate results.

3. What role do slope and y-intercept play in finding two constants in an equation?

Slope and y-intercept are two important components of an equation that can help in finding two constants. The slope represents the rate of change in the variables, while the y-intercept is the point where the equation intersects with the y-axis. By knowing these values, you can set up equations and solve for the constants.

4. Is it possible to find two constants in a non-linear equation?

Yes, it is possible to find two constants in a non-linear equation. However, the process may be more complex than in a linear equation. You may need to use calculus or other advanced techniques to solve for the constants.

5. Can I use a graph to find two constants in an equation?

Yes, a graph can be a useful tool in finding two constants in an equation. By plotting points on a graph and determining the slope and y-intercept, you can set up equations and solve for the constants. However, this method may not be as accurate as using algebraic methods.