How to find velocity given coefficient of friction, distance, mass and v1?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 43K views
Ingrid44
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



calculate the final velocity of an object sliding across a surface with a coefficient of friction of 0.2, a distance of 3m, an initial velocity of 50m/s and the object's mass of 100kg.
μ=0.2
v1= 50m/s
d=3m
m=100kg
v2= ?

Homework Equations


I know
F= μ*normal force (mg)
Kinetic Energy= 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I am confused and can't see how to get to the answer. Sorry, its been long since I took physics, I will really appreciate some help. Just the process of getting there. THANK YOU :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Here are a couple more equations for you:

[tex]W = Fd[/tex]

[tex]W = \Delta K[/tex]
(K is kinetic energy)

Does that help?