1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find wavelength with only distance

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    zekp8kV.png
    A metal rod attached to a tube with both closed ends is stimulated to create waves inside the tube.

If:
    L = 1.0 m
    d = 0.05 m
    Speed of sound in air = 340 m/s
    Speed of sound in metal = 1,000 m/s

Calculate the value of x using the wavelength of air.

2. Relevant equations
    Frequency = Velocity / Wavelength

3. The attempt at a solution
    The frequency of the the metal is the same as the frequency in air, so:

1,000 / (2*1.0) = 340 / wavelength of air

Because the wavelength of the metal is 2 * L.

340 / 500 = wavelength of air
    0.68 = wavelength of air

How do I calculate wavelength with only the distance between two nodes (d)? I need x from wavelength according to the problem's instructions so I have to work backwards but I don't know any formulas for this one.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2
    Wavelength is the distance between two nearest nodes = d. Can you clarify what you are trying to find?

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    I thought the wavelength was the distance between 3 nodes, since between two nodes is only half the cycle. This is where I'm confused...is the wavelength between two nodes, or is the wavelength between 3 successive nodes? Because I thought the distance between two nodes only completed half the cycle.

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4
    Sorry, you are right. What I meant to say was distance between two crests, which is what the diagram shows, I think.

6. Mar 3, 2013 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wavelength.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted