• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to get back and build Engineering Career

• Engineering
  • Thread starter ISUME
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello everyone, I've difficulty on finding a path to my engineering career. I've a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering from a reputable top 50 engineering program U.S. university. I'm certain that I've fully capabled to cover entry-level engineering responsibilities and climb up to the top from there. The problem is that I've not had luck finding a job due to personal reason in the past. Since graduation, I've been working at any low paying jobs to pay bills. It's now 6 years past and I realize that it is impossible for me to get even an entry-level job especially, in this kinda economy. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've been thinking that maybe there are still options available so that I can get back into the right path:
1. Go back to college get M.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering or Other related degree or,
2. Take some engineering related courses for community college so I can get an entry-level job or,
3. Get FE certification.

Other than that, I don't know what else to do and I'm not 100% sure if by taking one of the option will work as plan. Besides, school funding might be a problem. Please help, I need some advice. Thanks in Advance.

Answers and Replies

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
In this economic environment, I think you need additional education to make an argument that you have viable engineering skills. The easiest option on your list is #2; and additionally, speak to the career services people at the school and get advice from them on how best to plan.

I am confused. If you already have a B.S. ME, then why would you need
2. Take some engineering related courses for community college so I can get an entry-level job
?
:confused: