How to get Formula from a Cubic Graph

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the values of b, c, d, and a in the cubic polynomial function f(x) = a(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) by observing the graph. The values of b, c, and d can be obtained by looking at where the graph crosses the x-axis and a can be found by observing where the graph crosses the y-axis.
Jordash

Homework Statement

The figure shows the graph of a cubic polynomial.

GraphFigure.png
The function graphed is f(x)=

Hint: You may write the function as f(x) = a(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) where b, c, and d, are integers and a is a fraction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm lost...

Physics news on Phys.org
When f(x)=0 the graph cuts the x-axis, so what are the values of b,c and d?

b, c and d are where f(x)=0, can't you read those off from the graph? Now what about a?

I'm sorry but both of those answers made no sense...

Jordash said:
I'm sorry but both of those answers made no sense...

Are you unable to read the number off of the graph? Which part made no sense?

Simply by observing the graph you should be able to find b, c, and d in your equation f(x) = a(x -b)(x - c)(x - d).

And you should be able to get a by noticing where the graph crosses the y-axis.

1. How do I find the formula from a cubic graph?

The formula for a cubic graph is in the form of y = ax³ + bx² + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants that determine the shape and position of the graph.

2. What are the steps to finding the formula from a cubic graph?

The first step is to identify the coordinates of three points on the graph. Then, use these points to create three equations in the form of y = ax³ + bx² + cx + d. Finally, solve the system of equations to find the values of a, b, c, and d and plug them into the formula.

3. Can I find the formula if I only have two points on the cubic graph?

No, at least three points on the graph are needed to determine the values of a, b, c, and d and find the formula.

4. Is there a shortcut or easier way to find the formula from a cubic graph?

No, the process of finding the formula for a cubic graph requires identifying three points and solving a system of equations. However, using a graphing calculator or software can make the process faster and more accurate.

5. What is the importance of knowing the formula for a cubic graph?

Knowing the formula for a cubic graph can help in understanding and predicting the behavior of the graph. It can also be useful in solving real-world problems that involve cubic functions, such as predicting the growth of a population or modeling the trajectory of a projectile.