1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get into programming with a Physics/Engineering background

1. Jun 3, 2015 #1
    Hi Everybody!

I've got a job doing stress analysis as an engineer at an aerospace company. My best days are when I get to spend all day writing VBA codes/macros to automate stress analysis procedures or whatnot. I was thinking about getting a certificate in Data Analysis aka Data Science at the local University, but I'm not sure if a career melding the physical sciences/physics/engineering with lots of programming exists. If so, how do I go there from here?
    The certificate program is mostly in R.
    I only know how to program in VBA.
    I've got a MS in Structural Engineering (Civil) and a BS in Astrophysics, and I'd rather not throw away all that physics background to start a new career in data analysis/data science.
    Anyone know how I can take my engineering/physics background and turn programming from something I do on the side into something I emphasize in my career?

thanks !!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2015 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This doesn't belong in "New Member introductions ONLY - NO QUESTIONS". I've moved this.

4. Jun 3, 2015 #3
    OK Thanks !

5. Jun 15, 2015 #4
    A data science career is more like statistics / probability and programming. Its not so much physics, although, a mathematically rigorous physics education can help a lot.

The best way to learn programming is practice. I suggest you just pick a couple of projects to do on your own (nights and weekends) and start in. Post the code on GitHub, and then you can put it on your resume. There are a lot of opportunities in easy to use data analytics / machine learning software with a GUI.

Personally, I don't see a big distinction between true data science and engineering/physics. Yes, you are not typically dealing with modeling physical systems, but a lot of the insight and math is very similar. The trick is to get a job where you are actually expected to think about the model, and not just be some software engineer blindly applying some machine learning toolbox.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook