Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to get mean occupation numbers by Grand partition function?

1. Jan 4, 2014 #1
    How to calculate [itex]<n_i ^2>[/itex] for an ideal gas by the grand partition function ([itex]<n_i>[/itex] is the occupation number)? In other words, I like to know how do we get to the formula [itex]<n_i>=-1/\beta (\frac{\partial q}{\partial\epsilon})[/itex] and [itex]<n_i ^2>=1/Z_G [-(1/\beta \frac{\partial }{\partial\epsilon})^2 Z_G][/itex]?

[itex]Z_G[/itex] is grand partition function , q=[itex]ln Z_G[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the energy of the corresponding level.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Define
    [tex]Z(\beta,\alpha)=\mathrm{Tr} \exp(-\beta \hat{H}+\alpha \hat{N}O.[/tex]
    Here, I assume we have a non-relativistic system with conserved particle number [itex]\hat{N}[/itex].
    Then you get
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} Z=Z \langle N \rangle, \quad \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \alpha^2} Z=Z \langle N^2 \rangle.[/tex]
    Now you have
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial \alpha} \ln Z=\frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial Z}{\partial \alpha}=\langle N \rangle[/tex]
    and then
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial \alpha^2} \ln Z=\frac{1}{Z^2} \left (\frac{\partial Z}{\partial\alpha} \right )^2+\frac{1}{Z} \frac{\partial^2 Z}{\partial \alpha^2}=\langle N^2 \rangle -\langle N \rangle^2=\sigma_N^2.[/tex]
    So the 2nd derivative of the GK potential wrt. to [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the standard deviation [itex]\sigma_N^2[/itex] of the particle number, not the expectation value of the particle number squared!

More conventional is to write [itex]\alpha = \beta \mu[/itex], where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the chemical potential, but then it's a bit inconvenient for evaluating expectation values of the particle number and its powers (or equivalently cumulants of the particle number).

4. Jan 5, 2014 #3
    Thank you very much for your good response but what I meant by [itex]n_i[/itex] is the number of particles in the ith single particle state with energy [itex]\epsilon_i[/itex] and not the total number of particles, N.
    I study the book "statistical mechanics by Pathria". Reading this book is somewhat difficult. Also I think this book (although is a very good book) hasn't well set apart the borders between quantum and classical treatment. Could you please tell me, if there is any, another good reference in that level instead?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook