How to get the Uncertainty of a percentage change

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
usehn
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
to get uncertainty of percentage change
Relevant Equations
((a-b)/b)*100
I have a measurement with uncertainties for two years. Say
Year 1 Rain : 100mm(80-120mm)
Year 2 Rain : 120mm(103-131mm).

Now I get the percentage change in rain in Year 2 w.r.t Year 1 as 20%. Is there a way to get the uncertainty associated with this percentage change?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
usehn said:
I have a measurement with uncertainties for two years. Say
Year 1 Rain : 100mm(80-120mm)
Year 2 Rain : 120mm(103-131mm).

Now I get the percentage change in rain in Year 2 w.r.t Year 1 as 20%. Is there a way to get the uncertainty associated with this percentage change?
What is the maximum difference of possible set of values above 20mm and below 20mm. What are those relative to 20mm?
 
Well, some folks misunderstand how to do that so it would be a good idea to post your conclusions / answer