Percentage change in the density of a gas

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the percentage change in density when moving a gas from one vessel to another at the same temperature, and whether increasing the temperature in the second vessel will affect the gas's density. The summary also mentions using Boyle's law to determine the change in density, and corrects some mistakes in the initial calculations.
patric44
Homework Statement
a gas was at a specific vessel at T=300K, P=110KPa, when moved to another different vessel at the same temperature its pressure becomes 105KPa, if this vessel was heated to 330K find the percentage change in the density?
Relevant Equations
P1V1=P2V2, V1/T1=V2/T2
Hi all, in this question i was asked to find the percentage change in the density, my approach was as following, first i find the change in volume due to putting the gas into the other vessel as:
$$
P_{1}V_{1}=P_{2}V_{2}\;\; → \;\;V_{2}=\frac{P_{1}}{P_{2}}V_{1}
$$
now i use
$$
V_{1}/T_{1}=V_{2}/T_{2}\;\; → \;\;\frac{P_{1}}{P_{2}}V_{1}/T_{1}=V_{2}/T_{2}
$$
and using V=m/rho leads to, with m constant, i arrive at
$$
\frac{\rho_{o}-\rho_{2}}{\rho_{o}}=\frac{1}{\frac{T_{2}P_{1}}{T_{1}P_{2}}}-1=-13.22%
$$
the answer has the choices [-5.55% , -4.55% , 4%, 5%]
what I am doing wrong, can any one help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. The question says the gas is moved to "another different vessel at the same temperature". This is unclear.

It sounds like the temperature immediately after the move is still 300K. So the gas is heated from 300K to 330K after the move.

Will increasing the temperature of the gas in the 2nd vessel affect the gas's density?

Likes patric44
Steve4Physics said:
Hi. The question says the gas is moved to "another different vessel at the same temperature". This is unclear.

It sounds like the temperature immediately after the move is still 300K. So the gas is heated from 300K to 330K after the move.

Will increasing the temperature of the gas in the 2nd vessel affect the gas's density?
yes it was 300K then heated to 330K, yes I guess, since the increase in temperature will make the gas expand and hence lower its density

patric44 said:
yes it was 300K then heated to 330K, yes I guess, since the increase in temperature will make the gas expand and hence lower its density
The vessel itself doesn't expand (or its expansion is negligible).

Will increasing the temperature change the gas's volume?

Likes patric44
wait a minute, the other container has a fixed volume hence the gas has no place to expand when heated! what was I thinking :woot:, so the change in density only comes from the movment in the other vessel which I can determine by Boyle's law, thanks so much its clear now

Likes Steve4Physics
patric44 said:
$$\frac{\rho_{o}-\rho_{2}}{\rho_{o}}=..$$
By the way, a 'change' is [final value]- [initial value]. So the change in density is ##\rho_{final} - \rho_{initial}##, not the other way round.

Also, the symbol for 'kilo' is lower case 'k' (e.g. 110kPa).

(For information, where a unit is named after someone, the full unit name is given in lower case and the (first letter of) the symbol is given in upper case. E.g. K, kelvin; Hz, hertz; and you can amuse yourself by thinking of others!)

• Informative
Likes patric44

1. What is the formula for calculating percentage change in the density of a gas?

The formula for calculating percentage change in the density of a gas is: (New density - Old density) / Old density x 100%

2. How is percentage change in the density of a gas measured?

Percentage change in the density of a gas is measured by comparing the current density to the previous density and expressing the difference as a percentage.

3. What factors can cause a change in the density of a gas?

The density of a gas can change due to changes in temperature, pressure, and the amount of gas present.

4. Is percentage change in the density of a gas affected by the type of gas?

Yes, the type of gas can affect the percentage change in density. Different gases have different molecular weights and therefore, different densities.

5. How is percentage change in the density of a gas used in scientific research?

Percentage change in the density of a gas is used in scientific research to measure the impact of various factors on the properties of gases. It can also be used to analyze the efficiency of gas reactions and to make predictions about future changes in gas density.