How to Write #s w/ Uncertainty: Rules & Examples

In summary, the principal value is 1427 and the uncertainty is 150. The number with physics meaning is about to 1430 and has the same quantity of significant figures.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
I am having a little trouble to write in the right way a number:

I did a calc in which the uncertainty was 150, while the value with physics meaning was about to 1427.

I am trying to figure out what is the right way to write it.
Now, since the uncertainty can not have more than two significant figure, my guess would be:

$$1.4*10^3 \pm 1.5*10^2$$

My doubt is about the first number, what are the rules about it? The same number of significant figures that uncertainty has? But normally if the uncertainty is, let's say, "0.003" and the value measured "154.3464". I would write $$154.346 \pm 0.003$$ and i am almost sure this is right, but it does not have the same quantity of significant figures. I am confused

Physics news on Phys.org
The last digits of the value and the uncertainty should align, so maybe

$$1.43*10^3 \pm 1.5*10^2$$

Likes LCSphysicist
Herculi said:
Homework Statement:: .
Relevant Equations:: .

I am having a little trouble to write in the right way a number:

I did a calc in which the uncertainty was 150, while the value with physics meaning was about to 1427.

I am trying to figure out what is the right way to write it.
Now, since the uncertainty can not have more than two significant figure, my guess would be:

$$1.4*10^3 \pm 1.5*10^2$$

My doubt is about the first number, what are the rules about it? The same number of significant figures that uncertainty has? But normally if the uncertainty is, let's say, "0.003" and the value measured "154.3464". I would write $$154.346 \pm 0.003$$ and i am almost sure this is right, but it does not have the same quantity of significant figures. I am confused
Sorry, answer is a bit long.

In standard form, principal value is:
1427 = 1.427*10³.

Uncertainties are generally rounded to one, or sometimes two, significant figures. It depends on your local practice. Here I’d use two. Matching the principal value's power of 10, the uncertainty (150) is expressed as:
0.15*10³.

The initial combined result is (1.427±0.15)x10³. Now round the precision (not the signficant figures) of the principal value to match the precision of the uncertainty. This gives the final answer of:
(1.43±0.15)x10³.

You also could write this as 1430±150.

Of course you can do all that in one step.

If you are required to round uncertainty to one significant figure, the answer would be;
(1.4±0.2)x10³

This could also be written as 1400±200.

If the principal value is 154.3464 and the uncertainty is 0.003, then 154.346±0.003 is correct. You could also write it as (1.54346±0.00003)x10² but that’s rather clumsy.

And don’t forget units!

Likes Lnewqban

1. What are the basic rules for writing numbers with uncertainty?

The basic rule for writing numbers with uncertainty is to use the correct number of significant figures. This means that the number should have the same number of decimal places as the uncertainty. For example, if the uncertainty is 0.5, the number should have one decimal place.

2. How do I write numbers with uncertainty in scientific notation?

To write numbers with uncertainty in scientific notation, the uncertainty should be written as a power of 10. For example, if the number is 25.3 and the uncertainty is 0.2, it would be written as (2.53 ± 0.02) x 10^1.

3. Can I use more significant figures for the uncertainty?

No, the uncertainty should always have the same number of significant figures as the number itself. Using more significant figures for the uncertainty can lead to false precision and is not considered accurate in scientific writing.

4. What is the correct way to display uncertainty in a graph or table?

The uncertainty should be displayed as error bars on a graph or as a plus-minus symbol (±) next to the number in a table. This visually represents the range of values that the number could potentially be.

5. How do I calculate the uncertainty for a calculated value?

The uncertainty for a calculated value can be determined by using the rules of uncertainty propagation. This involves finding the maximum and minimum possible values for each variable in the calculation and then using those values to calculate the uncertainty of the final result.