How to Incorporate Step-Wise Potential into Schrödinger Equation for a 1D Box?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Litmus
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Trying to construct Shrodinger Equation given:
* mass: m

* Boundary Conditions: (potential)
V(x)=-Vo exp(-x/L) for 0<x≤L
V(x)=∞ for x≤0

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution



(-h^2 / 2m ) (d^2 ψ / dx^2) + V(x)ψ = E * psi

Not sure how to incorporate step-wise V(x) into above eq.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Litmus, welcome to PF!

Litmus said:
* Boundary Conditions: (potential)
V(x)=-Vo exp(-x/L) for 0<x≤L
V(x)=∞ for x≤0
What about ##x> L##?

And what can you say about the wave function for ##x < 0##?
 
You need to solve the Schrödinger equation in each region and then match the solutions at the boundaries. Your book should have examples of how to do this.
 
What about x>L?

And what can you say about the wave function for x<0?

I don't understand. I've given conditions x<0, and x>L it's not specified. Why do we care?

vela said:
You need to solve the Schrödinger equation in each region and then match the solutions at the boundaries. Your book should have examples of how to do this.

Like this?
(-h^2 / 2m ) (d^2 ψ / dx^2) + [-Vo exp(-x/L) ] ψ = E * psi
(-h^2 / 2m ) (d^2 ψ / dx^2) + ∞ψ = E * psi

Boundary is 0 so:
(-h^2 / 2m ) (d^2 ψ / dx^2) + [-Vo] ψ = E * psi

... how do I proceed?
 
Litmus said:
I don't understand. I've given conditions x<0, and x>L it's not specified. Why do we care?



Like this?
(-h^2 / 2m ) (d^2 ψ / dx^2) + [-Vo exp(-x/L) ] ψ = E * psi
(-h^2 / 2m ) (d^2 ψ / dx^2) + ∞ψ = E * psi

Boundary is 0 so:
(-h^2 / 2m ) (d^2 ψ / dx^2) + [-Vo] ψ = E * psi

... how do I proceed?

The problem can be tackled in the following steps:

1. Use TISE to get a general form of the wavefunction
2. Solve for the constants in the general wavefunction using boundary conditions