Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators How to insert a matrix from a website into a sheet?

1. Nov 3, 2016 #1
    Say, I have a matrix which I obtained from a website for matrix calculation, how to insert it into an excel so as for each cell in the matrix, there is a corresponding cell in the excel sheet?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried copy and paste ?

Also some apps will have a paste special menu where you can select paste options like unformatted or preserve formatting that you could try.

4. Nov 3, 2016 #3
    Trying pasting it into excel, leads to insertion in the first cell only.

5. Nov 3, 2016 #4

jedishrfu

So did you see if theres a paste special?

Another idea is to paste in a document and adjust it to be a csv file, a comma separated variable file.

You could also try pasting it into googles spreadsheet and then copying from there to yours.

Google will have an export feature too where you can mark cells and rxport as a csv.

6. Nov 3, 2016 #5
    It is not working in google spreadsheet. Regarding, csv file, I have no option to do so when I saved the file into the MS word.

7. Nov 3, 2016 #6

jedishrfu

So you want to copy a spreadsheet from google to excel? That should work. Is it only numbers?

Do you have google drive installed? Google wont let you copy if its not installed as it can't access your local clipboard without google drive software running.

8. Nov 3, 2016 #7
    The attached image is a matrix from a site for matrix calculation, I just want to past it into excel so that each number occupies one cell!

Attached Files:

9. Nov 3, 2016 #8

phyzguy

Science Advisor

After you have the data pasted into the first cell, select "Text to Columns" from the Data menu. This will allow you to split it into separate columns. You can choose the delimiter to be spaces, commas, or whatever.

10. Nov 3, 2016 #9
    wow, it works, thank you very much

11. Nov 3, 2016 #10

jedishrfu

When I used the copy/paste feature, MS Excel had a little menu next to the paste location where you could specify using the text wizard where you selected fixed column text which did the same thing.

Glad Phyzguy's suggestion worked for you.

12. Nov 3, 2016 #11

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting, I never paid attention to that button. Every once in a great while that would have come in handy. Now if I can just remember about it when the next time comes around...

13. Nov 3, 2016 #12

jtbell

How many entries does the table have? If it's not a huge number and you need to do it only once, you could simply add the commas by hand.

If you know some programming language, you could write a program to read the data and write it back out again with commas or tabs. This is worthwhile only if there's a huge number of entries, or you need to do it repeatedly.

14. Nov 3, 2016 #13

jtbell

Aha, now I remember the text wizard. You also get it if you save the table into a text file, then open that file in Excel. That's how I've used it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted